Continue to be sick

waarce
on 2/7/14 5:14 am - Pasadena, CA

Wow, since I began the WLS lifestyle again, it has been difficult.  To start, the food is not the problem but I have had all kinds of pains and aches.  Actually, I am feeling like the first and second day after the WLS with all the gas pain that doesn't seem to go away.  I am keeping calories to a minimum doing my proteins but, the pain is just keeping me away from eating much of anything.  I usually do eggs, cheese and ham in the AM well, I just couldn't stomach that due to the pain, I made some boneless/skinless chicken thights and the smell gave nausea.  So before going to work I stopped at VONS and bought some Oatmeal, skim milk, some $1.00 TV dinners, Perrier Water to see if I could get the gas out and some cheese.  I had the oatmeal which it was really a very small portion, 2 string cheeses and, as a snack I began to eat a protein bar but, I am not feeling any better.  For lunch I had the meat on my TV dinner throwing away the rest and sipping some of that perrier water.  But the pain in horrendous and bodersome that is unbereable.

poet_kelly
on 2/7/14 5:36 am - OH

What is causing so much pain and gas?  Do you know?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Rjjay
on 2/7/14 6:30 am - Bluefield, WV

I'm new, only 3 weeks out and was having the same problem with everything but yogurt. Right or wrong I started pureeing everything, made an egg salad with light mayo just now and had absolutely no problem. Prior to this every time I tried to eat an egg it came back up. So my solution, since my surgeon said this wasn't a large problem is to now purée everything for a while

poet_kelly
on 2/7/14 6:34 am - OH

The OP had surgery nine years ago, though.  If someone that had WLS nine years ago suddenly began needing to puree everything in order to avoid pain and severe gas, that would be an indication that something was very wrong.  It's not normal to only be able to eat pureed food nine years after RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Rjjay
on 2/7/14 6:40 am - Bluefield, WV

Your absolutely right, I totally missed the 9 years out, my apologies

whiskeyten
on 2/7/14 6:34 am
RNY on 03/03/14

Is this all from your surgery?  Seems somewhat extreme....

HW 350  CW 251 GW 160

so ready for this journey to continue!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/14 7:10 am

I can only speculate from my own experiance.  When I go back on tract and give up most carbs - and eat a lot of proteins - my body goes into shock and I deal wiuth constipation.. I need to make sure I take more Miralax and magnesium to make sur ethings are moving.. if not - I will get what you describe .. 

Sometimes when we drastically change things body gets a fit..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Teri Turner
on 2/7/14 7:15 am - WA

You say aches and pains.  Are these all confined to the abdomen (both above and below the waist)?  Do you have back pain under your right shoulder blade? 

One thing for sure, this has nothing to do with your going back to your weight loss diet - you need medical attention as the pain has already gotten severe.  I would recommend calling your surgeon. 

Sometimes 2 things occur close to each other, but that doesn't mean they're related.  If this pain happened before you had changed what you eat, you'd be at the doctor's by this time. 

waarce
on 2/7/14 8:18 am, edited 2/7/14 8:19 am - Pasadena, CA

It is like gas pain on the upper right abdomen irradiating to the back.  The pain began after I drank some water and it is still there since.  I was also eating chicken before the problems began.  I don't know if this a gallbladder attack but the pain is not sharp but dull and cumbersome.  I had to lay down on the floor for pain relief.  Like I said, I feel like I was feeling right after WLS.  I don't have surgeon, in my case, if things doesn't improve, I am going to the Kaiser ER to rule out gallstones.

Teri Turner
on 2/7/14 9:35 am, edited 2/7/14 9:38 am - WA

Thanks for explaining the pain more fully.  I asked about the pain to see if my suspicions about cholecystitis which is inflammation of the gallbladder when there is a gall stone lodged in the bile duct..

What you've described is indicative of what is often referred to gallbladder attack.  It is not diagnostic (proof) - that takes a history, an exam & tests. 

Early on, there is discomfort (most usually in upper right back),  sometimes feeling like a muscle discomfort which feels better if there is pressure applied to that spot.  

It most often occurs shortly eating anything that contains any fat.  It happens because the liver receives a message that fat needs to be digested.  The liver has already made the bile, stored in the gallbladder.  

Then, with fat waiting, the gallbladder contracts, forcing bile to the duodenum.  The sensation of localized discomfort is the pain of stones moving.  Large enough, they get stuck.  

When I realized I had something bad in my abdomen that was causing my shallow breathing, i pressed down, gently but firmly with the flat of my fingertips, in the area above the waist & below the ribcage.  Then you quickly jerk your fingers straight up & away.   This is testing for sensitivity of the gallbladder.  

For comparison, you can first do the same for the center of  each abdominal quadrant (the other 3 fourths) - the lower right (below the waist) will produce a similar reaction when the appendix is inflamed. 

I agree about checking it out.  If you'd like your primary care doctor to make a referral to a surgeon, then you can go a hospital ER where he has privileges... Of course, the ER physician will call the surgeon on call if you need him. 

You were on a very likely path on your own.  :o) 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics