Gastric Fistula???

Mandy Fisher
on 2/10/14 8:42 pm - Coldwater, OH

This is a prewarning ahead of time of a graphic question...I am 7 years post of this May.  For the last 3 weeks my stools have been so hard, I don't even what to go.  I have tried taking 2 stool softners everyday and have also done Magnisium Citrate.  The magnisuim citrate is what finally made me move everything and clean out.  I drink over 2 quarts of water a day and even drink coffee.  I have heard coffee can make a person go.  When I do go I have to try so hard I think I have anal fistual from pushing and from the stool being so hard and large and blood comes out.  My question is does this sound like a fistula?  I do not have insurance for a few more weeks and have called a new surgeon but it takes almost 3 weeks to get in to see him also.  Please HELP!  It is misserable and sometimes I don't even feel like eating because I feel so full of poop.

poet_kelly
on 2/10/14 9:26 pm - OH

You probably don't need a surgeon.  Why not just go see your PCP?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chulbert
on 2/10/14 10:38 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It's possibly a fissure, which ought to heal on its own.  Fistulas are entirely different critters.

Kelly is right; you don't need to see a surgeon.  At 7 years post-op, I wouldn't generally think of my bariatric surgeon as the go-to guy anymore.  If your stool is that hard to pass, consider a saline enema.

rocky513
on 2/10/14 11:15 pm - WI

I take 500 mg magnesium supplements daily and large doses of Benefiber twice daily.  I also found that if I don't drink at least 120 ounces of fluid daily...I get constipated.  Maybe you are not drinking enough water for your body.  Everyone is different.  You may have to experiment to find out what works for you.  Many people take a daily dose of Miralax with good results.  It is not habit forming, so taking it daily is safe.  I can't take Miralax... I get painful cramping from it.  Stool softeners NEVER work for me.  I don't know why.  Milk of Magnesia may work to get things started... but I would not take it daily... it can be habit forming.  If I don't follow my daily regimen... I have bowel problems.  I think most WLS patients have to have "help" to keep "things regular".  I would try some daily suplementation to see if it keeps you "going" rather than waiting until you are constipated and then treating the problem.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/11/14 3:20 am, edited 2/11/14 3:28 am

I have to take Miralax daily 1-2 scoops, plus I take magnesium oxide - at least 800 mg daily - in evening. If i have problem going - I decrease dense foods and try to get clean - have things moving - before I slowly add some dense food - proteins or even fiber.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 12 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics