Don't be afraid to travel!

dragonlove
on 2/13/14 4:08 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I've seen some posts on here before discussing concerns and fears on doing different traveling trips shortly after doing their surgery.  I thought I'd post my thoughts and experiences on the topic to help encourage others.  ****rtainly know that things will vary WIDELY depending on the type of traveling and where you are staying so DO ask questions!)

I just got back from traveling to Costa Rica on a Deep Sea fishing trip.  This was about two months after my surgery.  I'm on the 3 meals, 2 snacks plan with 1/2 cup size meals. Gotta get my 60g protein and 64 oz liquids in minimum!

This was a chance at a trip of a lifetime and I certainly didn't want to miss it.  Getting the opportunity to go on this trip was also one of my triggers to get off my butt and actually do something about having the surgery instead of just talking about it!

Now, I knew that I would be staying at a resort - so people would be invested in keeping me happy - resort people are usually happy to do special things you need.  But I also knew this was a third world country so I hoped I would be able to keep my fluids up with SAFE water!  I knew that this was a fishing resort and fish is a great protein food, but I also knew that we would be out on the boat for 6-9 hours and I was worried about eating when I needed to.  Also, the airplane trip and my need to have protein rich snacks concerned me.

First, I bought some protein bars (chose very cautiously) to have with me for the plane flights - while the peanuts would work for me, the cookies would not!  The website said the resort had purified water available so I took enough shake packs to have protein shakes twice a day if I needed to.

Things worked out GREAT!  I figure I actually had an easier time getting my protein and liquids in than I have at home.  The protein bar worked great on the plane in place of their snack.  (And it felt so GOOD to actually have room in the seat on the sides!!!! )

Once I got to the resort, I found that they pack sandwiches and snacks and all kinds of fluids in a cooler for you on the boat and we each got to choose what type of sandwich we wanted and what type of "chips".  I asked them for a small bowl of chicken salad.... I got a huge bowl and it was great - I just hated to waste so much since I didn't even eat 1/8 of what they packed!  Instead of chips, I noticed a small pack of peanuts, so I asked them to pack plenty of them.  They offered bottled water, sodas, fruit drinks, tea, and beer.  I made sure they packed lots of water and after the first day, I asked for the fruit drinks too!

After all day on the boat, we always had options for supper that included the fresh fish caught that day... I think I probably ended up getting extra protein every day while I was there and I didn't even use a shake once!

Sure - there was plenty available that I couldn't have. But there was plenty available to please me that I could have.  Desert was included, but I simply told them no, that I was full and they moved on to the next person. No one thought twice about it.  I simply told them I didn't drink with my meals and so didn't ge****er or anything at my place during meals.  Sure, they seemed surprised, but then they smiled and that was it.  There were so many good choices I didn't feel deprived at all.

One Warning.... if you are doing activities that you are not used to, you may find that your body may actually need some carbs! (Don't assume it, bu****ch your body)  The first day on the boat was exhausting. I had lots and lots of fluids and proper meals and snacks, but when I got back I found I was just droopy and tired.  Back at the pool, I happened to think that I almost felt like I had low sugar!  So I asked them for some of their "Welcome punch" - I already knew they made it with no added sugar and just fruit juices and ice.  After 1/2 glass of that stuff, I felt rejuvinated and alive again.  After that, the next few days, I made sure that in the afternoon, one of my bottles of fluid was the juice instead of water and I didn't have any more episodes like that.

Remember - one of the reasons we have this surgery is to improve our quality of life......  Don't be afraid to try new things or go new places.  But DO make sure you plan for contengencies and research where you are going.

In the future - I have several more big trips planned.  In May, hubby and I will be riding a motorcycle across the USA from California to Florida - truely coast to coast!  I am really looking forward to it - I am sure that our motorcycle will be SO much more comfortable with the weight that I will have lost by then!!  I'll just pack my protein snacks to have along the way between meals when needed.

Then later in October, I've got a cruise planned.  This will be the oddest one, because in the past the deserts and lots of food have always been consumed. But I'm getting good habits in place now so I'm sure I will manage the temptations.  I can't wait!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

PetHairMagnet
on 2/13/14 4:19 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Glad you had a great experience!

We LOVE to cruise, and like you, pre-op we ate like crazy! But the one we went on last year was actually very easy to navigate with good choices. I had a shrimp ****tail most nights at dinner and we found small entrees were easy to split and just said no to desserts save for our actual anniversary night and I don't even think we will do that again in the future. 

For my newly uncushioned tushie, that motorcycle ride would be the death of me...but I hope you have a GREAT time! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

dragonlove
on 2/17/14 5:39 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Luckily for me, the bike has a good seat *and* I have a nice gel cushion to use also!!!  

Thanks for the encouragement about the cruise!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views