Out of Control

bdaycakegirl
on 2/16/14 3:47 pm

Since I got my surgery date, all I want to do is eat. I am eating worse than ever and I need to stop this shiz right now. I am so disgusted with myself. Ugh. I am in therapy for this, and we are working on it, but I am suddenly at a panic that I must eat all the hamburgers now. Tomorrow is a new day, and I really want to get on track and start making the right choices. I know the surgery isn't going to do it all for me.

Anyone else go through this? What did you do?

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

QoftheU
on 2/16/14 4:15 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Ok - IMO - it's not the end of the world.  DON'T gain weight but enjoy your fave foods since you won't be able to have them for awhile (and always in smaller quantities).  I had lots of food funerals, but when it came time to do my pre-op diet, I stuck to it like glue.  So have your food but don't go hog wild - try to balance it out with other good things so you don't gain weight.  That tends to **** the surgeon off! 

And no need to be so hard on yourself... you're human, this is a big step, and you've always looked at food as a way to avoid emotions, or as comfort (I'm guessing here since many of us here do/did that), and you'll have to change - change can be scary.  But hang tight, be kind to yourself, don't gain weight, and work your pre-op - you should be fine.  Just my opinion!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

poet_kelly
on 2/16/14 7:11 pm - OH

You're having a fairly common reaction to knowing surgery is happening soon.

Listen.  You are going to get to eat hamburgers after surgery.  Not right away.  You'll probably be on liquids and then on pureed foods for a couple weeks at first.  Some people have trouble with meat in the beginning, although ground meat, as long as it's moist, works for many people pretty early out.  I don't eat meat but I was able to eat veggie burgers at about three weeks post op.

So listen.  You'll be able to have a hamburger.  At first, at least, it should be made from lean ground beef (or you could use ground turkey) and you shouldn't eat it on a bun.  You won't be able to eat a whole burger at first.  Later on, you can choose to eat it on a bun if you want (a whole grain bun is better).  I'm five years out, and I can eat a whole veggie burger with cheese and sliced tomato on it, but if I put it on a bun I can't eat all of it.  But it's OK that I can't eat all of it because I am full and satisfied without eating it all.

Remind yourself that you're not giving up hamburgers forever.  You are giving up eating a Big Mac, large fry, chocolate shake and apple pie all at one time.  But you're not giving up hamburgers.

Something else that someone told me once that really helped me is this: hunger is not an emergency.  I've also learned that cravings are not emergencies.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bdaycakegirl
on 2/16/14 11:13 pm

Cravings are not an emergency is going to be my new mantra.

Great advice all of it, thank you.

poet_kelly
on 2/16/14 11:49 pm - OH

It seems really obvious to me now, but it was quite a realization when I first realized cravings aren't an emergency.  I don't know what I thought would happen if I didn't give in to a craving, but apparently I expected dire consequences because I always rushed to eat whatever it was I was craving.  But when I didn't give in to a craving, I discovered something.  Nothing much happened. Maybe I got a little frustrated or disappointed at not getting exactly what I wanted exactly when I wanted it.  But, um, we expect kids to learn to deal with that by the time they graduate from kindergarten, right?  So at about 40 years of age, it seemed like it was time for me to learn to deal with it, too.

That doesn't mean I never eat things I crave.  The cravings just aren't an emergency any more.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jondakay
on 2/17/14 6:04 am

Kelly, that was very insightful; thanks for the input. Your always so helpful!

DietPrincess
on 2/16/14 8:30 pm

I am not out of control, but I do keep cheating on my diet.  I am still losing weight, just slowly.  I have decided that tomorrow I am going to my favorite restaurant for my "last meal" pre-surgery, and then I am not going to cheat again.  I will have 8 days till my surgery. 

I am hoping to not go back to breads, pastas and things like that because those are my trigger foods to overheating. 

Everything else, I know that I will be able to eat again.  Good luck.  You can do it.  :)

RNY  2/27/2014

tdbull
on 2/16/14 11:02 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I felt and did the same thing, however, I still had my lap band in place and dealt with acid reflux, so this kept me from gorging, but I did eat all my trigger foods, mostly the sweets. I didn't have pre op liquid phase cuz I was a lightweight, so ate right up until the day before surgery. I actually grieved over my last meal, but after surgery, I realized I didn't even crave anything so haven't missed out. I eat what my plan calls for, I feel satisfied and actually enjoy the healthier foods now. Like another poster, I stay completely away from my trigger foods - I just don't need to go there. You'll do fine, talk with your therapist, give yourself a break, and try your best to do what your surgeon says you need to do in order to have a successful surgery. Best of luck to you.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

bdaycakegirl
on 2/16/14 11:14 pm

Thanks ladies. I appreciate all the replies. I am going to work harder at not thinking of this as THE END of food forever. Because that is how I got fat to begin with, going on diets tomorrow so pigging out today.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/14 12:06 am
RNY on 12/16/13

I think this is a normal reaction. And as others have commented, you will be able to enjoy hamburgers in the future.  I am nine weeks post op, and have enjoyed small, lean burgers a couple of times - no bread or condiments  - but the beef was delicious!  I also pureed hamburger with taco seasonings during the puree phase - I thought this tasted pretty good too.  

I, too, had a few food farewells before my surgery - a last farewell to chocolate candy, a last farewell to potato chips, etc.  I enjoyed these but also kept in mine where I am headed and why I am doing this.  Keep the end goal in sight.  I want better health and to reduce and eliminate my co-morbidities!  I want to be around a long time so I can enjoy time with my baby granddaughter and will be around while she grows up.

You can do this!  Best wishes to you!

Liz

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 274 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?