4 days post op with questions... please help

Teapooch
on 2/17/14 12:24 am - Canada

4 days out and I still haven't had a bowel movement. I am taking a stool softner so that my bm isnt hard to pass when its time. How long should I wait before being concerned? 

Gas. Gas. Gas.... will this ever go away? Is there something I could take to help calm it down? I find a lot of my discomfort is from built up gas.

SandraF0823
on 2/17/14 12:50 am - CA
RNY on 12/30/13

I think my first bm was well over a week out. When I finally went, it was liquid... liquid in = liquid out

For the gas, Gas Ex strips were a life saver.

gtrdyfor50
on 2/17/14 12:53 am
RNY on 10/08/13
I wouldn't be concerned until it was a week out.

Hang in there, the gas pains should be gone after a few more days. Walk, walk, walk, that should help.

You will start feeling so much better every day.

chulbert
on 2/17/14 12:54 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I didn't have a bowel movement for close to a week.  You're still well within normal experience; no need to be concerned.

Gas will likely settle down.  Better out than in!

marissasmith1987
on 2/17/14 1:18 am - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

I couldnt leave the hospital until I had a BM. 2 days out. as long as your passing gas I wouldn't be concern. like everyone else said wait for that week mark.

southernpeachnc
on 2/17/14 1:46 am

I was told I could take a laxative at 5 days out if I had not gone which I did just so I could feel better.  Gas X is our friend.  Get some of the strips ASAP.  They work fairly quickly.  I wish someone had told me sooner as well.

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Kathiestephens55
on 2/17/14 2:14 am
RNY on 01/07/14

Rocking will help release the gas. I was advised to use gas x and milk of magnesia for constipation. 

PetHairMagnet
on 2/17/14 2:42 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 17, 2014 at 8:24 AM Pacific Time, Teapooch wrote:

4 days out and I still haven't had a bowel movement. I am taking a stool softner so that my bm isnt hard to pass when its time. How long should I wait before being concerned? 

Gas. Gas. Gas.... will this ever go away? Is there something I could take to help calm it down? I find a lot of my discomfort is from built up gas.

You had what, at least 2 weeks of liquids only? What do you think you have in there to poop out?

And gas...just pretend you are 80 years old and go get yourself a case of the walking farts!  Walk and fart and you'll feel much better, I promise!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

sBob
on 2/17/14 3:21 am

I had surgery on Monday Feb 3rd, and had a bm on Friday that week. Gas pains are a good sign that it's coming soon. I had the worst gas pains I've ever had in my life all Friday morning, but it all went along nicely and everything was great the minute it was done. Walk, walk, walk...the best thing you can do to help.  :)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 4 views
Recent Topics