Chewable Vitamins

AZPatty
on 2/20/14 3:00 am
RNY on 02/25/14

I just finished my 2 and 1/2 hour class before my surgery on the 25th.  The nurse said that all gastric bypass patients can only have chewable vitamins from now on.  I asked why and she said that is the best way that we absorb them.  She said that if I were having the sleeve I could have pills later on.  I know from what I have read here that I don't think that she is correct.  What do you all think?  Have you been told this?

Ocalasam
on 2/20/14 3:03 am
RNY on 12/18/12

That is not correct.  Chewables are easier at first because of healing, etc., but I, as well as most of us on this forum take pills exclusively now.  It has nothing to do with absorbtion.  It is recommended that we not take gummies for this reason, but pills are fine.  Many people take pills immediately after surgery.

poet_kelly
on 2/20/14 3:09 am - OH

I think I would ask her why she disagrees with the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, which says it's find to swallow vitamin pills.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AZPatty
on 2/20/14 3:55 am
RNY on 02/25/14

Thank you for the reply.  I didn't think it was correct.  I didn't know what to say when she told me why.  I thought maybe I was mistaken. I don't think I see her anymore.  She was the person giving the class.  I wonder what else she said that isn't true.  I really appreciate all of the information I have learned from you.

poet_kelly
on 2/20/14 5:23 am - OH

I would wonder the same thing.

My surgeon told me I would have to take chewable vitamins forever, that they were absorbed better.  I started out on chewables, then discovered the ASMBS as well as many other surgeons disagreed with him.  He told me a number of other things that were not true.  For instance, he said drinking carbonated beverages would stretch my pouch, that caffeine would cause dehydration, that we can only absorb 40 grams of protein at a time, etc.  He also advised me to take calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb.  I think he did a good job cutting and sewing, but he gave lousy advice about other stuff.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics