Protein Shakes and Bars

Mimi2Konnor
on 2/25/14 11:06 am, edited 2/25/14 11:31 am
RNY on 06/03/14

What are your favorite brands/flavors of protein shakes and protein bars?   I'm currently hooked on Oh Yeah Chocolate Milkshake (30g protein/8 carbs) and MetraGenix 6:1 Cookies & Cream bars (30g protein/5 carbs).   I ordered some IsoPure Zero Carb Protein drinks that should be here this week... can't wait to try them!

Are there any brands/flavors that you would warn us to avoid?? 

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

PetHairMagnet
on 2/25/14 11:14 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Ask 1,000 people, get 1,000 answers on this question. :)

I LOVE three of the Isopure RTD flavors, dislike many of the others and some people would die of thirst before considering drinking one.

I am crazy about many Syntrax and Isopure powders, again, others would not touch them.

Have you considered going to Nashua Nutrition and getting a number of samples?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Mimi2Konnor
on 2/25/14 11:35 am
RNY on 06/03/14

Thanks for the tip - I did not know about Nashua Nutrition!  I will definitely order some samples.  I really like the Oh Yeah brand flavors.  I use the powder and have the Chocolate Milkshake, Cookies & Cream and Strawberry.  I'm content with those right now, but I'm sure at some point I will want to expand my variety.  

Which Isopure flavors do you like?  I ordered an assortment pack so that I can try a few different flavors. 

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

PetHairMagnet
on 2/26/14 2:01 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM Pacific Time, Mimi2Konnor wrote:

Thanks for the tip - I did not know about Nashua Nutrition!  I will definitely order some samples.  I really like the Oh Yeah brand flavors.  I use the powder and have the Chocolate Milkshake, Cookies & Cream and Strawberry.  I'm content with those right now, but I'm sure at some point I will want to expand my variety.  

Which Isopure flavors do you like?  I ordered an assortment pack so that I can try a few different flavors. 

Ready to drink Isopure for me is Black Tea with Lemon, Passionfruit and Grape Frost...in that order.

Powdered I buy: Columbian Coffee, Cookies and Cream, Creamy Vanilla, Chocolate, Mango Peach and one other that is escaping my brain right now. 

Syntrax I do Roadside Lemonade, Twisted Cherry, Wild Grape, Chocolate Truffle, Vanilla Bean Torte, Pink Grapefruit, Fuzzy Navel, Mint Chocolate Cookie (my kids love it!) and Peanut Butter Cookie. 

Rarely to I make one flavor, I do a 'barista mix' with bases, temps and flavors. 

TODAY you can order the 12 pack of samples from Syntrax for an AMAZING price of 12.99 if you call between 8 and 5 CT 1-866-333-7403 x800 and they will send 12 nectar packs. Half price of what the normal sample 12 pack runs locally!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

miranda537
on 2/25/14 12:01 pm
RNY on 09/23/13

I just attended a support group and bought a single serving sample of Powercrunch proto whey protein drink in cafe mocha flavor and it's great! But everyone's taste is different.  I figure I just have to keep trying different ones.  I also visited the Nashua Nutrition site and signed up for a catalog and received it a few weeks ago.  They have some great things in there.  The Powercrunch has smaller proteins which is easier for us to absorb.  I'm glad I liked the flavor sample and will probably order some in the near future.  

tdbull
on 2/25/14 12:05 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I drank the Iso Pure Zero Carb in only Apple Melon and Grape for the first couple of weeks. I couldn't stand the other flavors. When I went to full liquids I liked the Premier Protein Shakes with 30g protein. Now I don't drink any shakes, but am addicted to the Quest Bars, but you have to watch out because a lot of them have higher calories and sugar alcohols. I like the Choc Brownie, Double Choc Chunk and Choc Peanut Butter. I also like the Premier Protein Bars but only eat a half of one of these at a time because they are 290 calories but do have 30g protein. I would recommend you only buy 1 or 2 at a time so you can see what you like before investing in something you don't like. I made the mistake of buying 2 Iso Pure Powders (3lbs each) and can't stand them.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Quinnherd
on 2/25/14 7:42 pm - MA
RNY on 09/30/13

Lately I have been hooked on the unjury chocolate splendor mixed with a tablespoon of PB2. To me it reminds me of a Reese's. I also love the Quest bars. Strawberry cheesecake and chic.peanut butter are my go to flavors. Pure protein also has good bars (usually found in the supermarket) and they have good calories to protein. 

Pits really trial and error with the shakes though. I couldn't stand shakes of any kind till I was about 4 months out. Nothing tasted good. But I kept trying them because they are so convenient on those crazy mornings trying to get everyone out the door and myself to work. 

Candy V.
on 2/25/14 9:20 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Here are some links for getting samples :)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/5244104/Ideas-of-where-to-buy-samples/

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

siberiancat
on 2/26/14 2:17 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Try Bariatric Foodie or The World According to Eggface websites for bariatric smoothies & tons of recipes.  They are both bariatric surgery veterans.

I've tried many protein powders in the 5 yrs since my RNY.  I have a very grouchy pouch and issues with nausea and still use protein powders.  My nutritionist and integrative physician wanted me off Splenda as much as possible and I've been using Bluebonnet Whey Isolate for about 15 months (I get it from Amazon.com) .  I like it hot and cold and use it daily.

I don't eat protein bars anymore but when I did I used the Pure bars - peanut butter flavor.  I do keep a thinkThin protein bar with me in every bag.  It is 240 calories 24 gm carb and 20 gram protein.  I would only eat 1/2 of it.  Bars have to many carbs and too much sugar alcohol for my "gut".

Like others have said your taste/tolerance for protein powders and bars change frequently as you heal and get to maintanence.  I can't eat enough solid food in a day to get 80-100gm protein a day, so must rely on some protein powder.  Your mileage may vary - we are each so individual and have different health issues pre and post-op.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 773 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 505 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 283 views