Musings about how much other people can eat

Momma2nicknmike
on 3/3/14 8:10 pm - Beavercreek, OH

I was out of town with some friends last Saturday and we went out for dinner.  The ladies that I was with are both normal sized.  I am 3 years out and for the first time in all that time, really noticed what they ate.  We were at Bob Evans and they each ate 4 slices of sweet bread (banana nut, chocolate, cherry and blueberry), then they each got salads that they polished off.  For their entree, one got fish and broccoli which she completely polished off, the other had a steak and baked potato which she also ate.  Since both of their meals came with desserts, one of them ate it and the other took hers home.  I had an omelet which I was absolutely thrilled to be able to eat 3/4 of.  I'm not sure why this was such a big deal to me.  I've obviously seen other people eat in the last 3 years, but it's hard to believe that I was once able to eat like this.  Thanks for letting me share this experience with you! 

Lynne    

JLS_NJ
on 3/3/14 8:23 pm
RNY on 10/15/13

I've noticed the same thing lately.  Amazing!  But I never want to go back.  

4 slices of pizza with a salad -  I scrape off the topping and leave the crust!  Generally my DH eats the crust I leave.  Nothing goes to waste, my husband husband cleans my plate all the time.  

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

plum21
on 3/3/14 8:40 pm - Miami, FL

I ascribe to the fat2fitradio.com philosophy which is to eat like the thinner person you want to become. I am astounded by how little thin women actually eat. Maybe your friends were eating a lot cause they were eating out. Most of my thin female friends eat many small meals a day and v. few calories. And my great friend, with whom I am learning to paddleboard, who has always been v. thin, says it's hard hard work and she's hungry all the time. It's not just we, former MO people, who have to work hard at not overeating.

PetHairMagnet
on 3/3/14 9:47 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 4, 2014 at 4:40 AM Pacific Time, plum21 wrote:

I ascribe to the fat2fitradio.com philosophy which is to eat like the thinner person you want to become. I am astounded by how little thin women actually eat. Maybe your friends were eating a lot cause they were eating out. Most of my thin female friends eat many small meals a day and v. few calories. And my great friend, with whom I am learning to paddleboard, who has always been v. thin, says it's hard hard work and she's hungry all the time. It's not just we, former MO people, who have to work hard at not overeating.

I read an interview with Beyonce once where she shared that she is ALWAYS hungry and never feels full because she can only nibble here and there for the most part as her clothes are very unforgiving with the fit and style and even when pregnant she was extremely conscientious about what she ate.  For the most part, I see my thin friends eating very little, but will tend to have one large meal and then nibble the remainder of the day. I do have a few friends who I swear to you, eat like truckers and are, even in their late 40s and early 50s, still extremely thin. But I have seen their families and that is just 'how they are'. I have one friend and her 85 year old mother can still wear her drum majorette costume from HIGH SCHOOL! The woman starts each day with a SLAB of pound cake, eggs and bacon. I did not win that genetic lottery, and I don't think most people did, but there are those that did.

I think the majority who are thin do have to be aware and conscientious in their intake vs their activity. And I will add that my friend who runs marathons pretty frequently (almost one a month) will carb hound BIG TIME pretty much year round because of the level of training she's doing. It would not have been four pieces of cake breads, but I have seen her eat an amazing amounts of pasta, oatmeal and birdseed bread. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Gwen M.
on 3/4/14 3:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I have the same philosophy!  I think I'm not driving my thin friends crazy since I "study" their eating habits.  ;)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ocalasam
on 3/3/14 8:59 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I know!!!  I find it absolutely repulsive how much people eat now (including my poor husband).  It actually makes me a little sick to watch.  I don't say anything, because nothing has changed with the rest of the world.  When I go out to eat and I'm finished (about a 10th of what everyone else has eaten) I feel sick even looking at more food, much less watching large amounts being consumed.  I have also always hated the sound of certain people eating and get easily repulsed by people taking really large bites of food.  I think there's a name for my "condition" (besides just being *****y).  It has gotten worse since my surgery!  And to think,  I cleaned my plate at these restaurants too!!!!

Lethy
on 3/3/14 10:00 pm
RNY on 09/10/13 with

What trips me out is how much my kids can. Eat. Example I made them spaghetti with lean meat and homemade sauce and steamed veggies. They all finished their plate and wanted more. I can't believe I use to let them eat so much. It is only now after my surgery that I am aware of just how much they actually eat. My poor kids I have done them such an injustice.  Now I have to retrain them. 

White Dove
on 3/3/14 10:49 pm - Warren, OH

When I eat a meal I don't stop eating until I am stuffed full like a Thanksgiving turkey.  The difference between me and others at the table is that my stomach is the size of an egg and I am stuffed with three ounces of meat and a few green beans.

For others to feel full with their big roomy thirty two ounce stomachs, they need to eat a lot of food.  I don't feel the least bit repulsed by the amount of food it takes to feel full with a full sized stomach.

I am just thankful that I have a pouch instead of a stomach.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/3/14 10:56 pm

Are you saying that your normal sized friends ate a lot? And/or more than you?

If so, I belong to the same club as you. I had thin/normal roomates all through college. They didnt exercise either. One had to incorporate THREE little debbie chocolate rolls to GAIN weight so she could have hips and NOT be underweight.

When I compare myself and my plight, to them (and their plight to GAIN weight), I really think that obesity is a multi-modal disease with more causes than what we give weight to (i.e. endocrine disruptors, hormones, genetics).  I also believe food (i.e. the type and quantity) also have a role. But it is not the be-all and end all that some people/docs/nutritionists give it. For example, I followed WW to the letter but because I had PCOS and the type, amount, and kind of carbs I ate was wrong, I could not lose weight no matter how obedient to the plan I was.

I couldnt lose until a NP figured out it was PCOS and my diet became more "Atkins like."

I do get annoyed with those that eat like a trucker. I wonder if they know how lucky they are.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Patm
on 3/3/14 11:02 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I recently went out to eat with people from work. It was an all you can eat Asian restaurant. You did not go to a buffet you just kept ordering until you were stuffed. I tried to just order from a regular menu but they would not let me unless I sat by myself. There was a large over weight person across from me that ate an obscene amount of food. He is always saying he can't lose weight. The younger people I could understand they eat and burn it. I almost enjoy watching them. There is one woman that has a great figure but can eat like there is no tomorrow.

So I guess for me I am just judgmental to people who are obese and should know better. By the way I would never say anything to the large person. I just looked away as more and more plates were put in from of him.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics