5 Year Surgiversary

Cynthia R.
on 3/5/14 8:28 am - Montgomery, AL

Today marks 5 years since I had my RNY.  I don't come here often anymore, but I guess I should.  At first I practically lived on here. lol  I started out at 314 lbs (5' 6 1/2") and am now 153.  My lowest was a too skinny 138.  I want to get back down to 145.  7 months ago I was at 162 so I'm getting there.  I was/am fortunate and didn't have severe issues with dumping, but I am still extremely careful when it comes to sugar.  I have had severely low iron and currently my vitamin D is low.  I got lax with taking vitamins and supplements as I should which is why I developed the deficiencies.  The first few months were the hardest and I remember it very well.   I remember eating such small portions and now eat more normal portions.  Still on the small portion side of normal.  Some days I can eat much more than other days.  My pouch has it's days. haha

I would definitely do this again surgery again in a heartbeat.  I'm so very thankful for the things I can do now that I couldn't then.  For the newbies, make sure you follow your surgeons orders and make this work for you.  If you don't follow the plan you can cause major problems for yourself and you can also gain all of your weight back.  This is NOT a quick fix, but a tool to help us learn to live healthy and more normal lives. 

H/S/C  314/310/145.0

Ladytazz
on 3/5/14 10:16 am

Congratulations on successfully keeping the weight off.  For me losing the weight was the easier part. I have lost 100+ pounds many times in my life.  What I have never done is keep that weight off for any length of time.  This is the longest I ever have been a normal size.  Seeing you do it at 5 years out gives me hope that I can, too.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Dcgirl
on 3/5/14 12:08 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Cynthia - thanks for coming back and reporting how well you are doing!  It's definitely inspiring to us newbies.  Way to go!  That's awesome that you are maintaining by using the tool and making good choices.  We all need to be reminded that it's a daily decision of what we put in our mouths!  Welcome back to OH :)

PetHairMagnet
on 3/5/14 11:22 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 5, 2014 at 8:08 PM Pacific Time, Dcgirl wrote:

Cynthia - thanks for coming back and reporting how well you are doing!  It's definitely inspiring to us newbies.  Way to go!  That's awesome that you are maintaining by using the tool and making good choices.  We all need to be reminded that it's a daily decision of what we put in our mouths!  Welcome back to OH :)

Let me say DITTO to Dcgirl's comments!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Needanewbeginning
on 3/5/14 11:44 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Congratulations, thank you for coming back to oh to share your continuing journey.

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

siberiancat
on 3/5/14 11:58 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Congratulations!  I will be 5 yrs post RNY on March 25 (19 days).  I have annual appointments with my Bariatric surgeon and get labs done.  In past years I've had deficiencies in iron, Vit A and Vit D.  We make adjustments and have follow-up labs done.  At times I almost forget I'm a bariatric patient.  My pouch is "grouchy" and there are many foods I cannot eat and I am gluten intolerant and have reactive hypoglycemia now - which limits food selection a little more.

I started keeping a daily food diary 7 weeks ago and plan to do it for at least 3 months.  I'd been out of touch with how many calories, grams of carbs, grams of protein and ounces of fluid I was getting on a daily basis.  It has been "eye opening" to me that I needed to make some adjustments.

I am also so glad I had the RNY.  I live in a rural area and have no friends that have had gastric bypass.  I stopped going to monthly support group when I was 3 years post op because it was usually attended by those needing to attend pre-op or newbies less than a year post op.  I didn't feel like it was helping me.  I'm re-thinking that maybe I need to try a few months of support group and get on Obesity Help on a more regular basis.

I was about 8 pounds under goal for 2 years and am now at goal, but I don't want to get any higher and would like to lose 5 pounds to give me some "wiggle" room.  Best wishes to you.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

dasie
on 3/7/14 2:56 am

Congratulations to you too Penny.  You are an encouragement and a success story too.  This has been a good day for me to have decided to come back after a long absence.

Megan S.
on 3/6/14 5:36 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

I love seeing how you are winning this battle! I'm 1 year post op tomorrow and it's so encouraging! I'm terrified of regain and I love seeing that this tool will work if you do right by it! Congrats to you both and I wish us all continued success!!

~Megan

dasie
on 3/7/14 2:50 am

A HUGH HAPPY SURGIVERSARY TO YOU!!!!! I have not been on in quite a while either.  I am so glad I came today so I could read your post.  You have done AMAZING!!!!! It is so good to see/read about someone losing and keeping off the weight.  You do not have too much more to get to your goal.  Thank you for posting. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 334 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics