Health, Work, Family...It's been awhile !

JanBooth
on 3/16/14 4:02 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Hey all!  I've not been on in awhile. Crazy busy working and my daughter's volleyball has started again.  We have all sorts of things going on with Junior year in high school...ring ceremony, Junior Prom, ACT testing and prep...just busy, busy. 
My pancreatic enzymes are still about 5 times the normal high level with my doctors having no clue as to why.  One calls me a medical mystery.  Nonsymptomatic, so they aren't terribly concerned?  I was to have an MRI of my abdomen, but with my insurance as it is now, I'd have to pay over $600 for the test.  The preadmission person said that I could make payments, with the initial payment on the day of testing at $200.  I don't really have that, either.  I'm already making monthly payments on my, and my daughter's, medical care for the year.  She has a few medical problems that require regular lab work, too.  That is adding up to quite a large bill...something we never had prior to this new insurance. 
I have a question, though.  In the past few months, I've had splotches appear.  They are purplish in color, varied shapes, no anything like a rash...more like petechial splotches?  Mostly on my inner thighs, forearms, some on my upper underarms, and on my breasts.  My surgeon asked if I was taking my vitamins, which I do, so he ruled out a vitamin deficiency. I've done a little research and increased a few vitamins, just in case I'm not getting enough of some.  Also, my thighs are achy and very weak.  I can barely get up steps.  When I get into my car, I seriously have to lift my left leg into the car. I've read about the myelin sheath sort of "wearing" after RNY, so I mentioned it to the surgeon who didn't seem to think it was the case.  I just don't know.  I have been going to the gym and working on stairs...it's not really made much of a difference, so far.  It's frustrating because I was doing so well with activity and now, with my thighs so weak, it's hard to do what I'd like to do.   
Oh well, on the bright side, I've lost over 120 pounds, so I'm at 172 and have a BMI of 29.7.  I started out with a BMI of 50.6 and weighed 295.  I have a bit more to lose, my surgeon is happy where I am, but I have my own goal.
Some of my old eating habits are trying to creep back into my life.  Stress at work is one thing that I'm finding really hard to deal with, as far as eating.  I always turned to foods...chips, those yummy peanut butter cheddar crackers, and other salty junk foods. I've given in a few times, but for the most part, I try to eat my protein chips, protein soups, and other sources of protein to stay away from the junk foods. I am also seeing the therapist at my weight loss center as much as I can fit it into the crazy schedule. 
My daughter is gaining weight.  As I lose it, she seems to pick it up. I am now only 20 pounds away from her weight.  It has just slowly piled on, and when we were dress shopping, it was very noticeable with a need to get a dress a couple sizes larger than when we had gotten a dance dress in the past.  So, after talking with my husband, we are making a conscious effort for him to NOT take her through the fast food drive through and have her eat the foods that I cook, I will offer to take her to the gym with me more often to "tone up", and try to have more activities available to her. I think I've been so involved with myself, I've not mothered as I should.  :(  I will now!  :) 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

TattooMammaRN
on 3/16/14 5:16 pm

Janet,

I have 2 teenage boys still at home.  Freshman and Sophmore in highschool.  I have noticed now that football has been over for a few months they are also gaining weight.  I told them all a few nights ago that they are going to start eating what I eat and no more junk food or soda in the house.  They didn't seem to protest........Maybe they don't believe me

Angie

tdbull
on 3/17/14 12:35 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Interesting about your red splotches. I have one growing on my left temple. Starting to concern me.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

karin602
on 3/17/14 4:05 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Not sure when you have your next blood work scheduled or what your insurance covers but you might ask to have your Ana done to rule out inflammatory or autoimmune problems.

Karin

JanBooth
on 3/19/14 1:29 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I've had nearly every test available done.  Initially, the doctors thought it was some sort of cancer, given I have a history of thyroid cancer and a small tumor at the back of my tongue.  Then, they tested for immune disorders and a whole array of other things...I'll be paying for tests until I die!  lol  I just want to know what's going on so that I can just get on with life.  It's frustrating. 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 408 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
Recent Topics