Learning to brave the restaurants

pathchic
on 3/18/14 11:16 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

OK, so I had a fancy dinner meeting/celebration at a swanky restaurant - Like 8 courses fancy.  In my last life I would have been estatic... but now I freaked... wondering what the hell I am going to say to people when they see how little I eat... what if they notice I am not drinking anthing...  Would it offend the renowned chef if I ate so little... I could barely concentrate on the meeting...

I called the waiter over, and quitely told him I had some serious dietary restrictions that limit how much I can eat, and asked him not to bring me all of the courses and to give me smaller portions, because "I didn't want to waste all that food".  You know what he did?  He kindly put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Honey, tonight's special, let's waste some food" -

I was served every course, and took a small bite of everything.  It was heavenly.  He helped me realize how silly I was being. That was the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for me, faith in humanity restored :)

tdbull
on 3/19/14 12:14 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
That is so awesome. I am finding most servers are extremely accommodating, although I still don't like eating out. I tell them I'm on a medically supervised food plan and that does the trick. Congrats on your first swanky outing. You got this!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

JJ0609
on 3/19/14 12:19 am

What a nice response! I am glad you were able to enjoy yourself and not miss out on the tasting of the array of food choices.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Qajohn
on 3/19/14 12:20 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

I wish there were a like button because I couldn't agree more. I eat out almost 15 times a week since I travel on business. I have adopted the attitude of "who cares what others think " regarding the amount I eat. Last night I was at a swanky steakhouse and ordered the smallest filet they had I only ate 1/3 of it. Our business guest asked if he could take the rest home. No problem. We are doing this for ourselves so we shouldn't worry about others, yet we still deserve to eat nice things. Congrats to you and well done

Gwen M.
on 3/19/14 12:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is awesome.  Tasting menus are one of those things I'm worried about post-op since they're something I've enjoyed in my life and don't want to lose completely.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

The Salty Hag
on 3/19/14 2:00 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Yay! Glad you had a successful swanky dinner!! 

I understand about wondering what others may think when we are out to dinner. So far, I have only been out to eat with people who know about my surgery and so they know why I eat the way  do. That will change in October because hubby just booked us a cruise. It should be interesting to eat with a table of strangers for 5 nights. They may not even notice. 

I love going out to eat because the meal I order lasts me for 3 days worth of lunches...oh and of course because I don't have to cook! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/14 2:09 am

What a great waiter.It's great that you enjoyed your night and the food.It does make you feel good that there are some good people out there.Keep going out it does get easier.I like  going out so I don't have to clean up.Then I usually have two other meals out of my dinner.

Kim always says quality not quantity.I keep that in my head every time I go out.I will get the lobster instead of getting a cheese steak or a burger.I keep that in my head when I grocery store to .I would never in a million years put filet migon on a salad but I do now.

Great job on going out in a business meeting.It is great to see you back here on the boards.

siberiancat
on 3/19/14 2:31 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Wasting food no longer bothers me and I do it all the time.  My pouch fills up fast and I feel full.  I can't eat in courses, once I start - I'm done in a few minutes.  For instance - if I eat salad then I can't eat any entree because my pouch tells me I'm done and I haven't got the protein in - SO, I drink a full glass of water first and let the courses pile up or let them take them away and just have protein and vegetable.  I skip bread, salad, appetizer (unless I ordered the appetitzer for my meal) and just eat meat/seafood and a cooked veggie.

I've experienced that most people are busy watching their own plate and eating and they don't pay attention to what I'm eating.  I keep conversation the main focus.  Putting my napkin over my plate also is effective.

Your mileage may vary, but my pouch won't let me eat over an hours time.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

MyLady Heidi
on 3/19/14 4:09 am

Besides probably your family, no one notices or cares what or how much you eat.  There are so many people with dietary restrictions these days on all sorts of plans that skip this or that that not eating some things and eating others is the new normal.  I don't ever get upset if someone questions how little I ate at a restaurant i.e. the waiter asking if the food was okay.  I say it was great, please pack it so I can enjoy it at home again.  Easy as pie.

Glad you had a nice meal, all the rest should be the same, enjoy what you can eat don't think about what you can't.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 6 replies · 27 views
Recent Topics