4 Year Surgiversary (3/22/10-3/22/14)

gbsinsatx
on 3/21/14 11:36 pm, edited 3/22/14 12:13 am - San Antonio, TX

I had my 4 year check up with my my Bariatric surgeons office this week. My doctor is beyond thrilled with my success. My labs came back great in all areas.

I now eat 1650-1800 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 197 pounds at my current weight of 134 pounds. My height is 5'3.5". I am 59 years young. 

I no longer weigh myself on a regular basis. I rely on how my clothes fit (jeans) to determine where I am with my weight.

I continue to follow all the rules. I have never swayed from my healthy eating plan that I developed. I eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. Every meal and snack I consume includes protein, whole grains and vegetables or fruit.

I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. I eat at least 100 grams of protein a day. I eat dairy products that are no fat/low fat. I eat simple (dairy, fruit) and complex (beans, vegetables, whole grains) carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams). I also eat eggs occasionally. I take all of my supplements and drink 64 ounces of liquids minimum.

Hunger is not a problem, but I do get hungry. At least now, I have developed more discipline and control in what I do when hunger hits. RNY has given me the tool to take control of my eating. I am now in charge, not my mind. I now think first before eating something. My eyes were always bigger than my stomach. Prior to RNY, I ate way beyond fullness. I had an enormous appetite and a voracious sweet tooth. My pouch now reminds me when I need to stop eating as well as I have learned how to gauge my portion sizes. 

Maintaining the weight loss is where discipline and dedication have to take center stage. Thankfully, I am blessed with both of those attributes. I am very diligent and stick to a strict eating plan that I have developed which my personal tastes in mind. Adherence to weight loss initially, and then maintenance, is not for the faint of heart and it requires a complete lifestyle change. 

I still do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I walk as much as possible. Every time I try to set up a walking schedule, my knees let me down due to pain from being bone on bone. I am still trying to get a doctor to consider knee surgery. I keep running into the obstacle of “being too young” for surgery.

I also have have Hypothyroidism and Osteoporosis. These conditions are not related to my RNY. 

I have not had plastic surgery, nor do I plan on having it. Yes, I do have some stretched skin on my abdomen and thighs, but not enough to warrant the pain and expense of surgery. At my age, if a potential suitor can’t deal with physical flaws, then move on down the road...LOL 

I honestly feel that because I have always followed the rules, that I am a Vegetarian, and that I never restricted my calories to an extreme during the “Honeymoon” period, is why I am so successful. Yes, exercise is important for health, but I do not believe the emphasis should be put there for being successful with weight loss or maintenance. You must embrace a lifestyle change with your thoughts and eating habits. Weight loss begins in the mind, not the stomach.

Deciding to have the RNY surgery was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I am thankful each day for the the success I have achieved. Please see my profile page if interested for it will give you more details about me and my RNY lifestyle.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Dcgirl
on 3/22/14 12:04 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

What an inspiration!!! You look great and you obviously feel great. We have very similar starting numbers and I hope I can find the same motivation and dedication from within to have the same success you have! Thanks for posting-I know us newbies love to hear about long term success! Congratulations!

Patm
on 3/22/14 12:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thank you for posting. It is important to hear from people who have been there and maintained their weight loss. I like your line Weight loss begins in the mind not the stomach

april89love
on 3/22/14 12:42 am - NC

You look fantastic!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

janc1963
on 3/22/14 1:27 am

Thanks for this post. I will be a year out April 4th and am down 150 pounds. I know maintenance is coming up in the next couple months and I'm starting to fret about finding that balance. I love reading the posts from the successful vets.

Ladytazz
on 3/22/14 1:26 am, edited 3/22/14 1:27 am

I love this post and I agree with almost all of it ;)  By almost I mean when you say that discipline and dedication take center stage and you have both those attributes.  I have neither, in any discernable measure, yet I am able to stick to a healthier way of eating as well.  Not disciplined in the least because I could never stick with it.  I am dedicated though, so that may make up for it.  But whatever self control I am now able to practice does come from having the help of my "tool".  I no longer get as hungry or as desperate as I used to and I can eat reasonable amounts of food instead of super sizing everything.

I always say that I am a compulsive overeater, addicted to refined carbs, sugar and gluten products, and to large volumes.  Having barely a stomach has taken care of the quantity problems.  Totally avoiding the refined carbs, sugar and gluten takes care of that addiction.  

I am glad you found what works for you.  I think that is the mark of a successful post op.  They have found what works and they don't try and fix it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

QoftheU
on 3/22/14 5:01 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Lady - just because you feel you have "no discipline", doesn't mean you won't develop it - I'm betting you're in the process of doing so right now!  You've already changed so much, why not that too??  It's a state of mind and you've already proven you have what it takes to lose - I'm betting one day you'll realize you DO have discipline - that it crept up behind your back when you weren't looking and now there it is!  Have faith in yourself - good habits beget good habits!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

JJ0609
on 3/22/14 1:40 am

WOW! You look great! Congratulations on your success.  

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Momma2nicknmike
on 3/22/14 2:30 am - Beavercreek, OH

Congratulations on your success!  You look amazing!  Thank you so much for posting all of this.  I think we sometimes forget that weight loss after RNY is the easy part.  The truly hard part is maintaining our weight loss past a couple of years.  Thanks for a truly inspiring post!!

Lynne    

BluIzGal
on 3/22/14 2:47 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

Congratulations on your success.  What an inspiring post.

Patricia

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views