Dumping on fruits?

pathchic
on 4/6/14 2:18 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Just had a curious thought... I eat a lot of fruit, which obviously contains significant amounts of sugar.  Of course fruit has lots of other stuff in it that might slow the sugar passage, as opposed to a refined sugar like what would find in cookies or something...

I haven't ever had much a sweet tooth (I was a cheeseburger and wine kind of gal), and I haven't been tempted to try anything that might cause me to "dump"... But I was wondering if this might mean I'm not a "dumper"... Does anybody have problems with fruit?

Cunning_Pam
on 4/6/14 2:39 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm curious, what kinds of fruits do you eat? I've seen apples and berries recommended as "good" fruits, while grapes, oranges and pineapples are examples of "bad" fruits in terms of the sugar vs. fiber content. Whether "good" or "bad" fruits, I would think that you are right, that the higher fiber in whole fruit versus the refined sugar from things like candy, ice cream and baked goods makes a big difference. Just a guess, but I think that in dumping there are degrees of sensitivity so that while fruit might not make one person dump perhaps it does for others. I'll be interested to see the responses here.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Amy R.
on 4/6/14 2:49 am

The short answer is yes.  Some people do dump on fruits.

Like everything else postop though, everybody has different experiences and YMMV.  I've dumped on fruit only once and it was because I put too many strawberries into my protien shake.  I do get severe dumping episodes from sugar.  So it's all kind of hit and miss.

I'd tread carefully at first, but I sure wouldn't arbitrarily cut all fruit from your diet.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/6/14 3:41 am - OH

Some people DO dump on fruit, but most (even those who dump on other things) don't have trouble with moderate amounts of fruit.  Bananas especially seem to be a problem for some. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kbinaz
on 4/6/14 12:03 pm

I'm afraid to try so I don't know if I would dump from fruit, but I do eat a lot of fruit!  I just always make sure I pair it with a protein.  (Greek yogurt with berries, apple with cheese, strawberries on a salad with chicken) which is what my nutritionist recommended. I don't eat bananas or pineapple (they seem to get stuck) or other high glycemic fruits.  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 452 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404