With good comes the bad...

Jen M.
on 4/7/14 3:53 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 11/07/13

So, I have learned that with every up there is a down after surgery.  Losing weight feels amazing but when you need suspenders to hold up your pants (which are huge all the way around) because you're saving for vacation but then ultimately have to break into the savings to buy a pair of pants... yes, it makes me cringe!  I used to love shopping.  Now, I look at it as am I going to get enough wear out of it by the time it gets too huge... But I am oficially in 18's!  I had been between 22's and 24's for so long and for a long while there I was pushing the limits because I should have been wearing 26's!  I do love the occassional window shopping but it has turned into vacation clothing shopping since I get to fly back home to San Diego for 5 days thanks to a friends wedding!  I am looking forward to getting on an airplane because thelast time I flew I needed an extender just for the buckle!  I know, without a doubt, I won't need that freaking extender this time!  I'm down about 80 pounds since surgery and am finally smaller than my mom for the first time in years!  I try and get in to work out 4 o 5 days a week... I feel great!  I bring my workout clothes with me to work, I change and get in at least 30 minutes to an hour before my husband picks me up.  But here's the bad part... since I started working out, I've stalled... The last two weeks, I can feel the small differences in my clothes fitting better but the number on the scale won't move!  I have 2 pounds to drop before I'm in the 220's and 18 pounds until I've dropped 100lbs.  I know I'm probably building muscle somewhere and everyone says that at 6 months (which today is my 6 month surgiversary!) you'll stall... I just hate it!  I have been focusing on getting in more water and protein, mixing up the workouts but not pushing too hard when I'm sore.  My husband laughs at me because he sees the difference in my mental well being and my passion for my health now... he's trying to hop on my band wagon as he is going through the motions for his surgery.  I love seeing the way clothes fit now, but being the same weight for almost three weeks is driving me insane.  Anyone else having any issues or have had any issues like this?

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/7/14 4:58 am

Consignment stores, thrift stores and salvation army... I would assign $$ per month and have fun going shopping.  Also find a good seamstress - and see how much would it cost to alter some clothes... 

I have and can use sewing machine so I was able to do my own simple alterations for clothes that were nice and simple....

Nice leggings with some long tunics and tops were my to go clothes ... 

Ebay - some clothes can last a few sizes.. 

last but not least - garage sales.. I always could buy clothes ...

I also got bunch of clothes from my friends - things they don't like or are too big - too small for them

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jenorama
on 4/7/14 5:01 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

When I did diets before, I had the exact same problem.  I'd be all up in the gym and not see any results.  Well, not any soon enough to satisfy me, anyway!  Your body is probably freaking out and wondering what you did to it with the flurry of activity and might be holding on to some resources because it doesn't know that you're not packing up to move to a new camp like a caveman.  Lots of people have said when you're stuck like this to take your measurements--you may  not see a result on the scale, but you might with a tape measure.

Keep up your activity and your body will adjust to the new way of life. :D

Jen

Dcgirl
on 4/7/14 5:58 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Awesome victories there :)  You are gonna LOVE flying!  I have already flown much more comfortably and I am at 267 :)  I credit working out to be a big part of my success too!

So my new obsession is this site Gwinnie Bee http://goo.gl/FSxbh2

It's like Rent the Runway but in sizes 10-32!  You can have it for one month free with that link I posted.  I pay $99/month to have five pieces of clothing at home at any time. You can wear it once and send it back in the postage paid bag, or keep it a month, or send it back immediately because you don't like the fit...it's basically renting clothes!  I have only had clothes in great shape.  They have a rigorous inspection process.  Most of the clothes have reviews underneath, like "this runs big so order one size down".  It's awesome!!!  Clothes without the commitment :)  They also have plans for 3 items for $79 and even lower and higher, I believe.  

Don't worry about the stall - it sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to.  I had a "plateau" and it passed :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 288 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics