It's tough to watch the scale go up!

Andrew L.
on 4/11/14 1:36 am - Klamath Falls, OR
RNY on 04/11/12

I am two years out from my RNY and feeling great.  I started out at my highest of 370lb in the fall of 2011, in April 2012 I had surgery around 340lb.  6 months ago I got down to 215lb but have been slowly putting weight back on....in a good way though. :) I Wrestle and train Jiu Jitsu at least 7 times a week and do a kettle bell routine 3 days a week.  When weather permits I ride my mountain bike three times a week as well.  I have been between 230 and 234lb for the past few months but have noticed more definition and tone throughout...I even went down another belt size.  I must say though, watching that scale creep back up is disconcerning.  I have my two year check up coming in a few weeks and will bet a full blood and body comp workup done.  I am curious to see where my BF% and muscle mass are. 

ACLakey's Bariatric Blog

Highest Weight 06/2011 = 370
Weight at Surgery 04/11/2012 = 328.8
Goal Weight = 230

jefferytmc
on 4/11/14 6:01 am

I was going to suggest doing a body composition test, but then I saw you were going to be doing that soon.

I did one 5 weeks post surgery to see where I was and plan to do one in year after to see and then again around goal.

I get how that would be difficult, but knowing that it is muscle and not fat should help.

I would love to get to that size in the future.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/11/14 12:22 pm - OH

If all of the additional weight is muscle mass, then that IS a good thing.  If it isn't though, some of it may be because your body has completed the gradual task of adapting to the caloric malabsorption and some of it may be because of getting just a little lax about carbs and portion sizes.  If your body composition isn't where you want it, dropping those two things a little are your best bet to keep that scale creep away and get those numbers where you want them.

I have to say that I am impressed by the interesting variety of exercise you get.  Much more interesting than (boring) typical gym workouts!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 71 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?