Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes

pathchic
on 4/16/14 5:18 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

I am returning from an OH (and general social media) hiatus - hope all are doing well, and hello to those I haven't met -

I am a little over 8 months out, and I am now about 5 pounds above my goal weight.  Wait... let me say it again... only 5 pounds above goal... ah, music to my ears.  I don't think I ever really believed it possible... but that can be the subject of another post, I have another topic to throw out into the OH pool -

One of my MAJOR issues  is (was) my inability to set limits and say what I need.  I've been working on it.  I started off at my job with a "No, I can't go to that meeting" and a "I'm going to have to pass on serving on that committee".  Then worked up to a "I'm leaving work a little early, and coming home a little late because I am meeting with my personal trainer".  There were quite a few ruffled feathers, and a little push back.  But I rode it out, and (just as my therapist promised) the resistance stopped.  Now I am begining to assess my home life as well.  From a "You know what, you're 13, let me show you how to pack your own lunch", to a "Tonight I am going to meet some friends for dinner, leftovers are in the fridge".  After a few blank stares, an more than one "but I don't know how"; they are falling in line.  I know these things sound minor, but they aren't - at least not for me.  And, though there have been a few bumps in the road, it really has made a difference.  I am learning to figure out what I need to stay happy and healthy, and learning that doing those things does not make me selfish...

Anyway, just wanted to put out the reminder - this is not about what you eat, how fast you lose, or what your weight is... it is about learning to place value on your needs and learning how to take care of yourself.  Everything is a choice.  Choose you.  The people you care about want you to (though it may take them a few grumbles to realize it). 

Lisa87
on 4/16/14 5:25 am
RNY on 12/13/13

Great post! Setting up limits and boundaries! Good for you!

KarenRaeV
on 4/16/14 5:54 am
RNY on 06/03/13

What an awesome post!!  The perspective you have written about is spot on!!  Thanks for sharing and congrats on your super sucessful weightloss journey!!  You go girl!!

tdbull
on 4/16/14 6:02 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Welcome back - and good for you for being so close to goal and setting boundaries to make sure you are taken care of. It's amazing that this WLS tool not only helps us look better, but gives us the confidence to begin to ask for what we need and deserve. Applauding your new found confidence!! Keep it up.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

BlackRoseRNY
on 4/16/14 6:16 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with

Thank you for this post!  Putting yourself first will always turn out well for everyone! 

beme_atlast
on 4/16/14 7:02 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/29/14

Well said...I thought my problem was emotional eating but as I read your post I realized that I do a rotten job of valuing myself.  I've cut an pasted the last portion of your post into my journal...- this is not about what you eat, how fast you lose, or what your weight is "... it is about learning to place value on your needs and learning how to take care of yourself.  Everything is a choice.  Choose you.  The people you care about want you to..."

Thanks for your post!!!

Jane

HW-414, Start Opti-398, PS-369.1,GW-170... SURGERY Dr.Klein-Apr 29/14!!! 

Cunning_Pam
on 4/16/14 9:10 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Welcome back, pathchic! I've missed your sense of humor and your posts; you always have some great observations. This post is no exception.

Congratulations on being so close to goal! I would like to read your post about that, what an amazing feeling it must be for you!

And grats also on learning to set boundaries and put yourself first when it's important. I have a feeling that that's something which is hard for many of us.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/14 1:34 am
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks for an awesome and insightful post!  Congratulations!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics