What are your daily nutritional goals?

Sara C.
on 4/21/14 4:52 am - Belding, MI

Hi there.  Back to the forums, it's been awhile.  At the end of May I will be 5 years post-op.  I have strayed from my diet, with some regain.  I can not find my Barix Bible for the life of me.  I am currently looking to get back on track with great advice from you!  

Stats:  

Highest weight 287.5 lbs

Current weight 185 lbs

Goal weight 160lbs

Lowest weight 177 lbs.

So that being said, I'm thinking of doing the 5 day pouch test, just to get my mind set straight.  For me, I know this is all food choices and mental, not my pouch!

So I'm looking for your daily goals for Protein, Carbs, Fat, and Cals (if you count them).

Thanks so much!

The personal life deeply lived always expands into truths beyond itself.
Anais Nin
Surgical weight-289.6/Lowest weight postop-173

poet_kelly
on 4/21/14 5:05 am - OH

I don't understand how the five day pouch test would get your mind set straight.  I mean, it's a five day fad diet.  Do you want to get your mind set on that fad diet mentality?  How does that help you?

As far as daily goals, I aim for at least 70 grams protein (usually get more like 90 grams, when I count) and 1500 to 1600 calories.  I've never counted carbs, but I imagine mine are on the high side since I don't eat meat and rely on a lot of beans and dairy products for my protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sara C.
on 4/21/14 5:12 am, edited 4/21/14 5:13 am - Belding, MI

Thank you for your response...good question, now that you say that it does sound silly doesn't it?  

Do you plan meal and snack times?  Do you drink with your meals, or restrict before and after?  The reason that I ask it because when I'm home meal planning is easier, but I work the night shift in a busy emergency department, and I can't plan to eat every 4 hours, etc....because it just doesn't happen that way.  Often I get to eat about 3 amish, and then maybe a snack sometime thereafter.  I work 7p-7a.  

Again THANK YOU!

sara

Anais Nin

poet_kelly
on 4/21/14 5:15 am - OH

I sort of plan my meals and snacks.  Loosely.  I'm flexible about it.  If I'm going somewhere there I expect to encounter a lot of tempting foods, I plan better.  Like if I am going to a party, I would plan what to eat before I go so I won't be too hungry there, and then decide in advance if I will eat a small amount of cake there or if I will take something healthier for myself.

I don't drink with meals or for about 30 minutes after.  I've never seen any reason not to drink right up until I start to eat, since liquids go right through the pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 4/21/14 5:17 am - Warren, OH

I use a method called If It Fits Your Macros (iifym.com).  I calculate exactly what I need for protein, carbs, calories, fat and fiber.  Those are your macros. 

I calculate on their site and then put the goals into myfitnesspal.  It helps me a lot to know what my goals are for each.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sara C.
on 4/21/14 6:30 am - Belding, MI

Do you set a time frame to eat within?  For example, 20-30 minutes.  Or do you just plan your meals for the day and eat it when you can and are hungry?

Anais Nin

JJ0609
on 4/21/14 10:02 pm, edited 4/21/14 10:02 pm

I use www.myfitnesspal.com as a food diary. It offers a forum for friendships and a community of blogs as well.

I have a schedule so eating my meals and snacks are routine.

I hope this helps you.

The 5 day pouch test is a fad diet. It will not get your mind straight. I believe only eating right will do that.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

siberiancat
on 4/22/14 4:40 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'm also 5 years post RNY. I've been keeping a daily food journal since January 2014. ****pt a daily one for the first 2 years and then got away from it.  Now I just keep one for a couple months - 2 times a year).

I aim for 1200 calories (I'm only 5ft 1in and 64 years old and not that active - my bariatric plan allows 1200-1400 calories at 18 months and out for maintanence)

I aim for 100 gm or less carbs.  I try to get my carbs from protein powders, vegetables & fruit as much as possible and avoid white (flour/sugar/pasta).  I do eat 1 ounce of dark chocolate daily.

I also count ounces of fluid and my goal is 100 oz. a day.

I keep track of protein and aim for 80+ grams a day.

In my journal I also keep track of doses of calcium since we can't take it all at once.  I use Bariatric Advantage caramel chews (500 mg) so I need 4 a day - 2 hours apart.

Hope that helps.  Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views