not recieving as much guidance as i need from doctor

nhowe61
on 4/21/14 12:30 pm

The doctor gave me a book that walks you through a few things to eat for each phase and my protein which is 64 grams but never gave me the carbs,fats, or calories. Since i am about 3 weeks out could you please help me with this.Also i am having a terrible time getting protein drinks and  chewable multi vitamin make me gag or throw up. so new to this and struggling .

AnnyBananny
on 4/21/14 12:52 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

It seems to be a common thread that surgeons and NUTs don't give calorie or carb goals until later on, if at all. I'm 5 weeks out and also only have a protein goal. The message I've gotten so far is "focus on your protein and the rest will fall into place." I think since we can eat such little volume, it is almost impossible to get too many calories. Just follow your plan and you'll be fine!

As for the protein...have you tried different flavors? I'd highly recommend getting some samples of things you haven't tried if you're finding it hard to get them in. I'm a big fan of Syntrax brand Nectar protein powder and have several flavors, though this week the only one I seem to like is Lemon Tea. You can get individual sample packs at GNC or Netrition and I think Bariatric Pantry. That way you can see if there's a flavor you can handle. I also switched to unsweetened almond milk because cow's milk was making me totally sick.

The chewable multivitamin - they just suck, don't they? 

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

tdbull
on 4/21/14 2:00 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
My surgeon didn't have carbs or calorie counts either. Just focus on protein grams, and watch your sugar and fats. I have always used MFP app which will calculate the carbs and calories, and my NUT told me around 5 months to try to get around 1000-1100 calories. I still don't focus on calories but I do get around 900-1100 now.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/14 2:20 pm - OH

My surgeon also have no limits/goals except for protein.  As already mentioned, when you can eat so little, there is really no way for you to eat too many carbs or calories!  Just relax and do the best you can getting the protein in.

if you cannot tolerate the protein shakes you have tried, try different kinds (Syntrax nectar protein powder, egg white protein powder, soy protein powder, ready to drink shakes, protein waters).  There are LOTS of different kinds!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SHMILY
on 4/21/14 2:40 pm

Mine told me at 2 weeks "later on we will touch on calories etc". I see him May 6th, we will see

Surgery Feb 26, 2014. Starting wt 270 lbs

CelticSoul
on 4/21/14 3:05 pm

SHMILY...couldn't pass up the opportunity merely to grin n' wink at your name.  'Tis what my husband n' I say to each other...*sweet giggle*.

Celtie

SHMILY
on 4/21/14 3:14 pm
On April 21, 2014 at 10:05 PM Pacific Time, CelticSoul wrote:

SHMILY...couldn't pass up the opportunity merely to grin n' wink at your name.  'Tis what my husband n' I say to each other...*sweet giggle*.

Celtie

Celtie, thanks for sharing that. I got the name because my first husband used to do that with me after he read an internet story. If you haven't googled it, do so. The story is awesome. After a 32 yr marriage, he was crushed to death in May 2003. I still have the box that held a diamond watch he gave me, marked on the top SHMILY. Now my current husband and I leave the SHMILY coin here and there for each other. Blessings....

CelticSoul
on 4/21/14 4:29 pm

Yup...that's where we found it n' fell in love.  We share other 'anagramic (is that a word??) love messages'.  Makes our marriage sweet n' silly even after 16 years together.  13th wedding anniversary on 6/10/14.  We met online when 'chatting' was so new n' Wild West like...hehehe.

Best regards,

Celtie

SHMILY
on 4/22/14 2:04 am
On April 21, 2014 at 11:29 PM Pacific Time, CelticSoul wrote:

Yup...that's where we found it n' fell in love.  We share other 'anagramic (is that a word??) love messages'.  Makes our marriage sweet n' silly even after 16 years together.  13th wedding anniversary on 6/10/14.  We met online when 'chatting' was so new n' Wild West like...hehehe.

Best regards,

Celtie

We met on Match.com!!! 8th anniversary coming in the fall! We also have an I LOVE YOU note that we have left in so many places, we finally had it laminated.............gotta keep the spark!!

Cunning_Pam
on 4/21/14 2:39 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

I find the Centrum Silver chewables to be pretty decent. As far as the protein drinks, keep trying different brands. When you're a bit further out and can get all your protein from food, you won't have to worry about them anymore. In the meantime just think of them as medicine (as I've seen someone else post here) and drink them down. Take your time and sip, rather than trying to gulp it. A travel type cup with a smaller opening may help you, since you won't smell it as much if that's part of the problem.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 483 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 182 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?