surgery autherized, getting date next week.... but feelings of backing out

cross_89
on 4/21/14 11:58 am

Because of fear I am so afraid to go under anesthsia I am having feelings of backing out. Is this surgery worth risking losing my life. I know its what I need but scared to death of risks and complications. Ill be having my surgery at standford university with the chief of bariatric surgery. But fear is very mind controling. Im 25 no health issuses known other than I weigh 325 pounds and stand 5 food. Its easy for everyone to say ill be ok. But who knows. Ugh I wish I was able to be fearless and do it I know ill be great after this surgery.......

Sam_I_Am80
on 4/21/14 12:25 pm - Spanaway, WA

You are right it is very easy to tell you everything will be ok.  When in fact we will never know for sure. I too was worried about the very same thing.  I have 2 young daughters and the possibility of leaving them without a mother was terrifying.  I had never been put under before. I had my surgery March 26, 2014 and came out with flying colors. You will make the right choice for yourself. Try and not make the decision out of fear of th unknown because like in general is the unknown. Good luck, we are here supporting you in whatever you choose. 

cross_89
on 4/21/14 12:29 pm

Thanks. As like you ive never been put under either so this is very nerve racking. 

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/14 12:31 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You don't have health issues now, but you will. If you stay obese, you can look forward to high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. You'll end up wearing out your knees and hips, and need replacements. You'll take years off your life, and the years you have will be painful and miserable.

I've lived through all of that, and was fortunate to have surgery and turn it all around. I wish I had done it sooner.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

AnnyBananny
on 4/21/14 1:00 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I was incredibly nervous as well, never having undergone any type of surgery, but like the vast majority of us WLS patients, I came through fine.

Do your research. Read up on the real complication stats for WLS. Ask your surgeon more questions. How many surgeries a month do they perform? What are their complication rates?

Right now you don't have co-morbidities, but there are real risks to remaining morbidly obese. For me, in the end, the risks to staying morbidly obese absolutely out-weighed the real but very slight risks of this surgery. At only 5 weeks out, I can tell you this is the best decision I've made for myself and I can't wait to continue on the path to a healthier and happier future.

Good luck in your decision making process!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

selhard
on 4/21/14 3:47 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Do you feel like you've exhausted all non-surgical efforts to lose weight?  If the answer is "yes," then WLS is a reasonable risk factor worth taking.  If the answer is "no," then it seems reasonable to consider putting off WLS.    (As we know all too well, keeping the weight off is the real issue.  At age 25, with lots of help, who knows if you can be one of the rare to achieve what most of us couldn't).  

LKS1632
on 4/21/14 11:12 pm
RNY on 03/26/14

I had my surgery almost a month ago, this was my second surgery ever in my life and I was absolutely scared to death. I was afraid I was going to never wake up, I was afraid I was going to wake up during surgery, I was afraid that I was going to "feel" everything, but be seemingly sleep. I made a living will, I gave my mother and husband "instructions" just in case...so yes, I 100% understand where you are right now. The day of my surgery, it was a whirlwind, Nurses, my DR and my anesthesiologist came in to talk to me. My focus was on her, I asked her if she will know if I am awake and to please make sure I wake up...she was so understanding to my fears...she just talked me through them. When they wheeled me into the operating room and I said my "good-byes" to my family - the tears and terror hit me like a wall. But she was there to calm me and whisper in my ear I was going to be okay...and that is the last thing I remember.

The reason why I am telling you my story, is that even with all that fear, I am here to post this. They made sure I woke up and that I was okay. Now, my diabetes is under control and I am off insulin. My weight was killing me, but slowly. Without this surgery, I would have continued down the path of a diabetic in denial and ended up with heart failure, stoke or just my organs shutting down one at a time. You may not have health issues now...but I would bet diabetes will be knocking at your door soon and trust me, you don't want that.

I was also fearful of having these complications I read about; but without the surgery, the complications I was already dealing with was painful. It isn't just "health" reasons, it is the depression that comes with being over weight when you cant do the things you want to do, or see others doing fun things that you are afraid to participate it due to your weight. Everyone on OH has these feelings of just wanting to be what society claims as normal. So it is also a mental state you are "fixing." Many do not understand these feelings...but they do hold you back.

I am now 40 lbs down and although I still get tired, I am doing very well. I believe that one time or another, we all had these fears prior to surgery. If you did the research on your DR and you are comfortable with his results, then you have made the right choice - just keep moving forward, go through the motions, and it will be over with before you know it. I had had some rough days, but zero regrets!!

Best of luck!!

Laura 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 467 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
Recent Topics