5 months out and emotions, weird dreams

Jen Lyn
on 4/27/14 12:49 pm, edited 4/27/14 12:52 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

I wonder why I feel so emotional, sentimental, and philosophical right now.  I also feel a grieving. It manifests in weird dreams about a crisis that happened two years ago and was quite hurtful. My labs are normal.  Any ideas?

I also am getting worried that I won't be a success longterm or that I might go from this amazingly easy recovery to big trouble.  I also fear I might not absorb supplements though three sets of tests are normal.

melissa_musicjunkie
on 4/27/14 1:38 pm
RNY on 08/01/13

I would suggest maybe you talk to a therapist, or bring these things up to your surgeon's office. Sounds more psychological than directly RNY related. Good luck.

Melissa - RNY 8/1/13 :)

Jen Lyn
on 4/27/14 9:40 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

I talk to a therapist who I have known for years and who has training in weight loss.  I think I need a different kind of therapist, maybe a life coach, because it feels like she just listens and asks me what I think which is unhelpful in this area. I would like the dreams to stop personally.

Bibo
on 5/6/14 1:45 pm

I had a lot of dreams about food when i was detoxing off sugar.. They go away eventually. I learned to think of them as a reminder that I don't have to eat the way I used to eat anymore. I have heard that people in recovery from alcohol and/or drugs go through the same thing when they are getting clean and sober. It just takes fat and sugar a lot longer to leave the body, so the delay is a bit longer. It's perfectly normal to have some fears about the success of a major life change. Usually when i am afraid it's about losing something I thought i had, like security, comfort, predictability, etc. It was impossible for me to really know what life after surgery was really going to be like until after surgery. I really had to have a goodbye party for my fat. It had been part of my life for so long I could not imagine any other way to be. My experience has been that as long as i am following the directions given by my doctor and NUT, and getting sleep, not isolating, not getting too thirsty, or tired, and learning to deal constructively with my emotions, that things tend to work out. In this moment, right now, everything is already alright. I suspect the same is true for most everybody. I do understand that this is a major life change. Glad you are getting some support. I had dreams about food for about a year, and then, as I filled my life with well, life, like swimming, and work, and school and friends, and other things, hobbies, the dreams went away. Now, when i have a food dream, it's either because i ate something that was not on my food plan, or I am really stressed out about something in my life, and i use the dream as a reality check to get back on track. Good luck to you.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 336 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 91 views
Recent Topics