Update on surgery 4/28

ruby8157
on 5/2/14 11:54 am

So my surgery was Monday the 28th. Started around 945am - I was not brought back to my room until almost 8pm. 6 1/2 hours in surgery where they almost had to open me up due to scar tissue from my splenectomy in 2004. Scar tissue had spread around my stomach, liver & diaphragm. The dr had to actually remove part of my stomach! Then I wouldn't wake up. They had to put me on a ventilator and almost moved me to ICU. When I finally did wake up both hands were completely numb and swollen, the right hand swollen like a balloon around the IV. They called some ICU nurses down to put one in the crook of my right arm. I couldn't hold anything in my hands for 2 days. They are still tingly today! I also had a huge knot/ sore on the back of my head that made it painful to lay on. BUT I made it! Thank The Lord! Great care, great nurses. The barium liquid gave me a huge gas bubble and I remembered reading on here about getting rid of it by walking! So I insisted on walking and walking Tuesday night and finally was able to dislodge that bubble and spit out all that fluid. Since then have had no more gas, a little nausea from drinking too fast too much but that's it. My drain had to be changed 4-5x per day there was so much of that pink stuff coming out. I finally got that out today and will be released tomorrow. I'm exhausted most of the time, glad to be off the diladuid which made me zombie like! I'm getting my fluids in and learning to truly sip sip sip. I went into surgery at 280 down from HW of 299. They didn't weigh mr yet here but I'm glad since I'm still putting out all that fluid. Thank you everyone for the things I learned on here that have helped me make it through so far!

christyhall
on 5/2/14 12:43 pm
RNY on 04/28/14

Wow, that sounds like an incredibly difficult experience. Congrats to you for handling it all so well and keep it up!

RNY on April 28, 2014 with Laura July at Unity Hospital in Fridley (Twin Cities) Minnesota.

Starting weight in October 2013: 350 lbs. SW: 275 lbs. CW: 242 lbs.

tdbull
on 5/2/14 1:52 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Sounds like there were some scary moments, but glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and feeling ok. Take it easy and give your body a chance to heal, and welcome to the loser's bench!!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

katekeeler
on 5/2/14 2:58 pm - Canada

Sounds really rough. Hang in there! I am rooting for you!

JJ0609
on 5/2/14 11:56 pm

Glad you are okay! WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH! I will keep you in my prayers as you are recovering. keep walking and sipping. Get your protein and water in!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

southernpeachnc
on 5/3/14 8:37 am

Sweetie, I want to say you went thru Hell but your attitude is phenominal!  You are truly one to tackle what comes and surpass others with your great attitude.  Blessings to you!! I'm so glad you've come through the worst and now on the Loser's Bench!

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Lori W.
on 5/3/14 11:29 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

Agreed! What positive writing of a scary experience. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 101 views
Forum Search Error & 404