Support Groups

mimiof2wins
on 5/4/14 11:43 am - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

I have attended the only support group for WLS in my town.  I was under-impressed. Most of the attendees have had the vsg with one particular doctor in town.  There were only about 8 of us total. The facilitator wanted to read through a book on the psychology of over- eating. We took turns reading paragraphs out loud. This is not something I like to do in a group setting. I can read information much more effectively at home. A husband and wife pair were the most vocal but generally it was about their dysfunctional family. The leader was very passive while they aired their dirty laundry. We really didn't talk much about our experiences as a group. I tried asking a few questions but the married couple would take over the conversation and the leader did little to stop the ambush. I haven't been back but know I probably need some type of support group. Would this forum qualify as a support group? I am hesitant to return to the one in town but the group in the town where I had my surgery is 2 hours away. Any advise?

poet_kelly
on 5/4/14 11:47 am - OH

I think you can get support here but I don't think it's the same as a support group.

I live in a rural area and there are no WLS support groups near me.  The only hospital in my county does not do WLS and in fact, you'd have to drive at least an hour to get to one that does.  I participate in a telephone support group.  We meet once a week via conference call.  Would you be interested in something like that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mimiof2wins
on 5/4/14 12:44 pm - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

I am not opposed to a telephone support group. I didn't know that they existed. I do get lots and lots of great information from this site and am grateful for everyone's input, thanks!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/4/14 11:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12

A lot of people are in similar situations, and use OH as their support. I attend my program's support, but  don't learn much from it. But I'm on here every day, and it certainly helps.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/14 11:56 am - OH

What a terrible "support" group! Ridiculous!

Coming here can be a great source of support, but isn't the same as a live group.  It is, however, much better than nothing!  Kelly's suggestion of a phone support group is good.  There are also WLS groups on Facebook.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

tdbull
on 5/4/14 12:10 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Although I had my surgery done in MX as a self pay, my Kaiser insurance has folded me into their bariatric program. I attended 1 support group, and unfortunately, and I didn't get anything out of it. They combined both pre and post op together, so at least for the 1 meeting I went to, they talked only about pre op, like diet, etc. Nothing that I needed or could relate to. I come here for my support, and try to log in several times a day to read everyone's posts.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 301 views