Moving and freaking out about it

dessalves
on 5/5/14 9:30 am

So it has been a while since my last post but there is a good reason: I was on vacation! It was great but since I was in the US (another country for me that am from Brazil) it was so hard to stick to my diet!! The foods are really different and that got me worried because I am moving to College Station, Texas in August to do a masters at Texas A&M. Obviously, I am very excited but is there anyone from Texas that could help me find a good NUT? I will have to find one to keep track of what I am eating and to have a support system as well. I don't know how insurance works there exactly so if someone could explain to me so that I am more in the loop and know if it will be covered and stuff, I would appreciate it.

poet_kelly
on 5/5/14 10:16 am - OH

In the U.S., how insurance works depends on what policy you buy.  Many don't cover nutritionists. 

Actually, in the U.S., there are two types of professionals that give nutrition advice.  There are registered dieticians, who must have college degrees in nutrition and must pass a licensing exam and are regulated by the state in which they work.  Then there are nutritionists, who might have a degree but don't have to, who aren't licensed or regulated in any way.  The registered dietician might be compared to a registered nurse, who has a degree and is licensed, while the nutritionist might be compared to a home health aide, who might have taken a short course in how to care for people at home or might not, but is not licensed or regulated in any way.  Or the registered dietician might be compared to an elementary school teacher, and the nutritionist to a babysitter.  So see a registered dietician.

But again, as far as whether your insurance will cover it or not, you'll need to check with your insurance company.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dessalves
on 5/5/14 10:56 am

Thank you, I will definetly check it but it was very helpful to know that I need to seek a registered dietician.

Brimiller808
on 5/5/14 12:05 pm - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

Too bad you're not going to The University of Texas in Austin (the BEST!) because then I could hook you up.  I have two wonderful NUTS here but I'm sure you'll find someone in Aggieland (ahem...). You do know that A&M is our arch nemesis, right?  It's my duty to give you a hard time. You'll do great and best of luck!  Also, congrats on going for your Masters!  Hook 'em!!

melissa_musicjunkie
on 5/5/14 1:53 pm
RNY on 08/01/13

So funny! I was born in Austin and my dad got his PhD from UT. I remember a running battle between him and my first grade teacher who was an Aggie..they taught me the hook 'em horns hand gesture...

Melissa - RNY 8/1/13 :)

dessalves
on 5/6/14 5:18 am

Oh thank you so much. I did not know that so thanks for the heads up! Hate University of Texas -> noted! LOL

I am sure I'll be fine, I'll just have to adapt because we eat really differently here in Brazil. 

Momma2nicknmike
on 5/6/14 6:15 am - Beavercreek, OH

Best of luck to you!  How excitng!!  I'm curious to know how your diet is different in Brazil than it will be in the US?  

Lynne

dessalves
on 5/6/14 6:24 am

Thank you, it really is very exciting! That is what I am not sure. Here on a typical day my meal plan is like this:

Breakfast: bread, iogurt or cheese, and smoaked turkey or ham

Lunch and dinner: Rice or pasta, beans (if it is rice), meat or chicken or fish and vegatables

Snack 1: bread or cream cracker and cheese and smoaked turkey or iogurt

Snack 2: cream cracker and iced tea

Once when I put my typical day I got a lot of comments of how different it were and I know that you don't usually eat rice and beans in the US. Mostly what I know related to American food is junk food and I know I can have that all the time. And I really do eat like a child, I usually don't like sauces or things like that. Also my NUT here doesn't allow me to eat spicy food, and from what I've tasted, in Texas it is all spicy!! So I am just afraid because I don't really know what it will be like and I am assuming it is going to be very different.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 220 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?