Stomach Virus took me back to the beginning after 6 years!

BillieC
on 5/15/14 6:42 am - Laurens, SC

I had my RNY in July, 2008.  I, like most, have settled into a food routine and knew exactly how much and what I could eat.  But then I got sick.  I caught some kind of awful stomach virus and even a sip of water sent me running to the restroom.  The doctor said all he could do was say eat ice chips to try to keep dehydration at bay.  That lasted 4 1/2 days.  On the 5th day, I thought I was better and my fiancé and I went out that night with friends.  I woke up in the night sicker than before and having a ton of nausea.  Since I seem to be unable to actually throw up since surgery, it was some very painful dry heaves.  I got  through that day and the next and finally, 7 days after my first symptom, I thought I was once again back to normal.  I've been able to keep food and drink down but I feel like my poor little pouch has been taken back to about 3 months post RNY.  I can barely eat one cup of food and am having to push myself hard to get enough protein.  My vitamins are a meal in themselves.  I ate applesauce and actually got the foamies!  I feel like somebody pressed rewind!  It's crazy!  But hey, that 10 lbs I had put on is going down for the count fast!  Just felt the need to share.  LOL!

WARNING:  I am almost always trying (and not always succeeding) to be funny.  Don't take it the wrong way, please!

56sunShine14
on 5/15/14 8:39 am

That sounds scary!  Could you drink protein shakes?  Not a great way to get it but maybe could have helped.  Just wondering.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

MyLady Heidi
on 5/15/14 8:56 am

Yeah I hear ya, had a stomach flu earlier this year, I couldn't keep my bloodsugar up or my fluids.  It took a few weeks to fully recover.  Good luck.

MickeyDee
on 5/15/14 3:45 pm

That's sure the hard way--stay hydrated and don't rush things.

dasie
on 5/18/14 5:20 pm

Getting a stomach virus post RNY has been a concern because I've wondered hiw we will be affected.  Glad your feeling better 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 265 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?