skin after gastric bypass ..

Eno
on 5/22/14 10:00 pm - ocala, FL

Ihad a question for everybody that had the gastric bypass I understand everybody's body different but anybody that was over 250 pounds when you lost all your weight did you have a lot of extra skin Was there workouts that you did to tighten it all up  I'm worried I have my surgery next month and I am 230 pounds I'm afraid I'm going to have a lot of extra skin when I lose the weight there's no problem with that its just thats what everybody use that as an excuse not to get the gastric bypass so I just had a question do you hav. before and after pictures you can send me or give me a little bit of advice

Ocalasam
on 5/22/14 10:08 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Everybody is different with how their "extra skin" looks after they are done losing.  It depends on age, amount to lose, ethnicity, genetics, how you carry your excess weight,  luck.....You don't have that much to lose, so it shouldn't be horrible.  I would expect some loose skin on your upper arms, thighs and stomach.  You'll look fine in clothes, not so great in a swim suit.  It's just reality.  There's nothing you can do about the skin either.  You can't ungrow skin.  No amount of working out, etc. will change that.  Working out may tone your muscles and make you look better though.  A lot of people have plastics after WLS.  I have a pretty minimal amount of loose skin, and I'm not planning on having plastics.  You'll just have to see what happens.

Eno
on 5/22/14 10:30 pm - ocala, FL

Thank you so much for writing .. im 22 years old so hopefully that helps im starting yoga and p90x i just don't want extreme loose skin really don't want plastic surgery but dont want to look in the mirror. And hate my body like i do now

Sjulie71
on 5/23/14 11:04 pm

I was 23 when I had Gastric bypass (11 yrs ago) weighed 308 the day of surgery. I have some skin but I would not consider it excessive. My breast I would say are the worst. I have not had any skin removal but would consider a breast lift 

Grim_Traveller
on 5/22/14 11:05 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On May 23, 2014 at 5:08 AM Pacific Time, Ocalasam wrote:

Everybody is different with how their "extra skin" looks after they are done losing.  It depends on age, amount to lose, ethnicity, genetics, how you carry your excess weight,  luck.....You don't have that much to lose, so it shouldn't be horrible.  I would expect some loose skin on your upper arms, thighs and stomach.  You'll look fine in clothes, not so great in a swim suit.  It's just reality.  There's nothing you can do about the skin either.  You can't ungrow skin.  No amount of working out, etc. will change that.  Working out may tone your muscles and make you look better though.  A lot of people have plastics after WLS.  I have a pretty minimal amount of loose skin, and I'm not planning on having plastics.  You'll just have to see what happens.

Exactly this.

I lost a ton, and definitely have excess, but less than some who lost a lot less. No matter how much excess skin people have, they are happier than with the extra fat.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Vivian Prouty
on 5/22/14 10:37 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Hi Eno,

First off your young....so chances are you probably will have very little excess skin but as the other person posted....you never know what you'll end up with.    I was overweight my entire life but I didn't have surgery till I was 52 yrs. old.    I am also very short ( 5'1" ) and I lost 140 lbs. so I had lots of excess skin.    I did have PS over 7 yrs ago and they removed almost 14 lbs of skin but that wasn't enough.    If you exercise as you loose and keep it up after the weight is off I'm sure you'll look pretty good.    Proud of you and keep it up.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Eno
on 5/22/14 10:47 pm - ocala, FL

Vivan thank you it means alot im trying workout now i plan on loosing weight before i get the surgery i have tried everything to dieting i have always been heavy for example im a twin my sister is 120 lb she has always been skinny never gained i want to be able to wear shorts and tank tops and feel good about it i dont want surgery again im already extreamly scared about this one.

Vivian Prouty
on 5/22/14 11:30 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Eno....don't be scared.    I had RNY over 8 1/2 yrs. ago.    Just do as your surgeon says and PLEASE stay away from sugar and greasy foods.    Those will make you very sick and that is NOT fun at all.    You will be in my prayers.    I'm sure you will do great.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Blackbird1987
on 5/22/14 11:11 pm

Hi Eno,

I have thought about this alot myself. I started this journey at 305lb and I am not 233lb (almost 3months out of surgery) At 72lbs down so far I don't have a lot of excess skin (I am 27yrs old) but I am sure it will happen especially since I carry most of my weight in my mid section and my stomach hangs a bit. I am hoping that because of my age and that I have never had children that my skin will be a little more elastic and shrink up well. I have a friend who had the sleeve and lost almost 100lbs and she looks fantastic and her skin is only a little saggy. 

I agree with the others though, I would rather have some excess skin than what I had 3 months ago which was a lot of extra fat and weight. I hope this helps! 

Eno
on 5/22/14 11:45 pm - ocala, FL

Thanks blackbird and Vivian you guys help me out so much I'm just worried have a lot of extra skin on my arms and my tummy I'm having my wedding this year November 15th and all the dresses I'm looking at are strapless I'm  Going to work my butt off doing yoga and walking and lightw weight lifting

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 274 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics