Revision from Sleeve to RNY instead of DS??? HELLLP!

JuucyOne
on 5/29/14 3:28 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 02/04/13

Hey there!

So... I went to see my surgeon for a late 1 year check up and told him I wanted to revise my surgery. I told him I wanted to get the Switch. He told me I would have more issues with the Switch vs RNY. I asked him if I would have to be on meds indefinitely with RNY and he said no, but I would with the Switch.

Mind you, he suggested me get RNY initially because I was on the heavier side. I had gained a lot of weight a year prior to surgery because of a steroid. If I would have known that I wouldn't be on meds/vitamins indefinitely with RNY, I may have gotten it last year instead of the sleeve.

My questions to you guys are did anyone revise from the sleeve to the RNY and/or Switch? Did you have any issues with revision? Was it worth it? Would you do it again? Additionally, I have had anemia problems in the past, which one may be more likely to cause more anemia problems? Overall thoughts? Please HELP!

HW: 397 SW: 370 CW: 285

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/29/14 3:56 am

I might be misunderstanding your post, but are you thinking you will not need vitamins after RnY? Because if so, that is not true. We need lifelong supplementation.

What problems are you having that are prompting you to look into revision?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Ehbeagle
on 5/29/14 3:57 am - Virginia beach, VA

I did not have a revision but I have had RNY.  You should be aware that vitamins are a life long thing after RYN.  Good luck

poet_kelly
on 5/29/14 4:05 am - OH

What meds do you have to be on after DS but not RNY?

Either surgery is likely to cause iron deficiency unless you take a good amount of iron, preferably carbonyl iron, which is absorbed well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics