Vitamins for RNY

Eno
on 6/7/14 11:12 pm - ocala, FL

So i know i have been asking crazy questions but we were all there at some point FREAK OUT wanting everything perfect and knowing more than a enough some questions. Are anwser and some not. 

I have a list of vitamins i have to take and they have to be chewable for me i want to hear feed back on reasonable prices and how i take them.

Multivitamin 

Calcium with vitamin D and K

Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 

Vitamin b12

iron 

Vitamin c

Im most likely going to walmart to buy them i just dont what im looking for. 

gtrdyfor50
on 6/8/14 12:00 am
RNY on 10/08/13
You may want to use the search feature, there are hundreds of posts about vitamins. I found searching through old posts very helpful.

Eno
on 6/8/14 12:01 am - ocala, FL

Thank you so much i will do that :)

MsBatt
on 6/8/14 12:52 am

With an RNY, you're malabsorbing fat and therefore fat-soluble vitamins---A,D,E, and K---as well. You need to buy a 'dry' formulation of vitamins A and D. (As you get farther out and get some lab results back, you *may* need E and K as well, but most folks don't.) The small amount of D that's included with calcium usually isn't enough. And you want to be certain you buy calcium CITRATE, not carbonate.

poet_kelly
on 6/8/14 12:58 am - OH

The calcium must be calcium citrate and you will not find chewable calcium citrate at walmart.   Some health food stores might have some.  Otherwise, you'll need to buy it online.

You do NOT need chewable B12, but a sublingual that dissolves under your tongue.  Which you can get at Walmart.

I'm not sure you'll find chewable thiamine or iron at Walmart, either.  Definitely not carbonly iron, which is the type I would suggest, since it is absorbed well and usually does not cause constipation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/14 7:56 am, edited 6/8/14 7:57 am - OH

You are probably going to find it difficult to locate chewable calcium with D and K.   I am not aware of any regular stores that carry any kind of chewable calcium citrate (which is what we need, not calcium carbonate, which is what the chewables available in stores contain), regardless of whether it has any Vit K in it or not.  

The only chewable calcium citrate I am personally aware of that includes Vit K is the Bariatric Advantage chewable lozenges (not the "chewy bites").  I tried them when I was first post-op, but they were so gritty that I never even finished the bottle (and that was almost 7 years ago)!

Most surgeons don't automatically start you on a Vit K supplement because most people never need one AND because too much Vit K can cause hemolytic anemia (destruction of old red blood cells before new ones can be created), and can contribute to blood clots in people with certain predispositions to clots.  If you have any family history of phlebitis, DVTs, embolisms, or strokes, I would suggest that you discuss the idea of waiting for your first set of labs before starting a Vit K supplement.

For chewable calcium citrate without the Vit K, you have several options: Bariatric Advantage chewy bites (available in chocolate, lemon, caramel, and (my favorite) raspberry), Calcet Creamy Bites (lemon or chocolate fudge), Upcal D powder, and Celebrate soft chews (chocolate, caramel, and berry).

Lora

edited to add: I don't think anyone makes a chewable B1.  Even the pills usually have a bit of a bitterness to them, so I'm not sure there is a way to hide that in a chewable

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Eno
on 6/8/14 8:47 am - ocala, FL

Thank you so much ill will look in to the site for them im tryin to get everything together for surgery

Grim_Traveller
on 6/8/14 8:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The Celebrate Calcium Plus 500 has D, K, Magnesium, Zinc, and Copper, in addition to the 500 mg of calcium citrate. But, it does not have enough of those things, especially D, to make up for a real deficiency.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Eno
on 6/8/14 10:58 am - ocala, FL

I wish they made one pill with everything in one lol.. i need to get all of my vitamins. Before surgery 

poet_kelly
on 6/8/14 11:06 am - OH

That just wouldn't be possible.  Some vitamins interfere with the absorption of others, like calcium blocks the absorption of iron.  Some vitamins, you can only absorb so much at a time, like 500 mg calcium citrate, so you must take  more than one dose daily at different times.  Plus, if you put everything in one pill, it would be a HUGE pill!  Like, much bigger than a golf ball.  Would you really want to try to swallow that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 773 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 388 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 505 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 280 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?