lightheaded from liquid diet - advice?

life_mirrors_art
on 6/10/14 5:13 am - Canada

I'm packing for a move right now, and want to get most of the heavy work done before surgery on June 23rd. I am on day 3 of the two-week liquid diet, and find myself lightheaded/dizzy after just an hour of physical effort. Any suggestion for supplements, etc. that might help with this temporary condition, or will it pass soon? Thanks! P.S. Happily, I am not hungry!

poet_kelly
on 6/10/14 5:17 am - OH

Are you drinking a lot?  Getting adequate protein?  I would suggest splitting up your daily protein shakes.  Like, if you are supposed to be doing four shakes a day, try drinking half a shake eight times a day instead, so that you're getting some protein every couple hours.  And make sure you're drinking plenty of liquid in between.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

life_mirrors_art
on 6/10/14 5:24 am - Canada

Thank you, I'm getting lots of protein and drinking plenty of water, but since the work is heavier than usual, I'm perspiring a lot too. I'll try splitting up the shakes and drinking even more water - can't hurt to have more water!

poet_kelly
on 6/10/14 5:27 am - OH

I think it's pretty typical to feel kinda icky on an all liquid diet, especially at first.  If it continues, call your surgeon's office and ask for advice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

life_mirrors_art
on 6/10/14 5:33 am - Canada

Thanks!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/10/14 6:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

People have problems from not drinking enough far more often than not eating enough. And since most are used to drinking while eating, you are probably drinking less because you are eating less.

Drink more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

life_mirrors_art
on 6/10/14 6:29 am - Canada

The dietitian's guidelines say to include the protein drink (unsweetened almond milk with protein powder, in my case) as part of our daily liquids. On top of the 5 cups of protein drink, I am drinking two or three cups of decaf and about 6-8 cups of plain water each day. I take a daily multivitamin, but thought maybe some electrolytes or something could be missing. But maybe I'm just dizzy from running to the bathroom so often!  :)

jenorama
on 6/10/14 8:40 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Might you be low on salt?  Try a bit of broth or bouillon.  When I was on a doctor monitored mostly liquid diet several years ago, the program advised bouillon if one started feeling dizzy for no obvious reason.  That's the only thing I can think of.

Jen

life_mirrors_art
on 6/10/14 12:05 pm - Canada

Thanks, I had some bouillon and more water, and rested for an hour. Felt fine afterwards. Appreciate the input!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/10/14 9:43 pm

Protein shakes plus water is usually low on sodium. 

Drinking jus****er will actually wash more sodium andf minerals out.  Hydration without salt and minerals may maker your body even more rdehydrated.  For me - good quality broth, pickles, or pickle juice is great to refuel my salt,  V8 - the low sodium - has a lot of other minberalks - like potassium - so adding more salt to it - specially if you perspire a lot is a very way to get minerals and vitamins the natural way.  Also getting dehydrated may make you nauseous (remember that for after WLS) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 243 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics