Any anemics after having gastric bypass?

BlackRoseRNY
on 6/10/14 6:14 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with

What symptoms did you experience?  I'm just trying to rule out anything before I take a bottle of iron. ... just kidding. 

poet_kelly
on 6/10/14 9:43 am - OH

Before you take a bottle of iron, get labs done to see if that's your issue.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BlackRoseRNY
on 6/10/14 9:26 pm
RNY on 03/19/14 with

Yes I am.  Doctor just ordered them today.  I guess I was trying to rule out the possibility before I got too anxious. 

renee2468
on 6/10/14 10:34 am

I had the surgery about 7 years ago. I was just discovering that I was very anemic in 2/2014 . Being anemic can be for any reason of course I took tests and also I was not treating my body to the best.

BlackRoseRNY
on 6/10/14 9:27 pm
RNY on 03/19/14 with

Yea I've been pretty bad with my iron intake. .. Thanks for sharing! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/10/14 9:35 pm, edited 6/11/14 4:17 am

That is not good.  I can't absorb iron and when I take iron (any iron - I tried them all) it really affect my gut due to IBS-C.  

I now need iron infusions - app every other year.   That not only cost me time (5 hours weekly for 4 weeks) plus the infusions go against my deductible and this year alone it would cost me over $2,000 plus pain from iv plus inconvenience of going to hema doc, and the infusion center... Plus side effects from infusions. 

Please take iron so you can avoid that  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

BlackRoseRNY
on 6/11/14 4:14 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with
I'm so sorry to hear that!I will definitely be more proactive now. I'm just waiting on my labs too get back

siberiancat
on 6/11/14 2:37 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I had no symptoms.  Annual labs showed I was anemic - so now I take iron and labs have been in normal range since.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

BlackRoseRNY
on 6/11/14 4:16 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with
That's great! I just hope it's not anemia. I'm awaiting the lab tests now. Thanks for the response

christinalee
on 6/13/14 12:56 am - At Home in, NH

When I was diagnosed with anemia, these were my symptoms:  fatigue, sore tongue, chest pains, shortness of breath, brittle nails, fatigue, lethargy, and a decrease in exercise ability.  Did I mention fatigue ? My lab results clearly showed iron deficiency anemia, and I've been on high dose oral supplementation since October.  I am slowly improving and my hemoglobin and hematocrit are above the anemia threshold, but my ferritin stores are still very low.

Best wishes!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?