What foods have you omitted?

BlackRoseRNY
on 6/19/14 3:42 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with

Hey my bariatric buddies. I am currently 3 months post RNY today and I was wondering,  What foods have you completely omitted from your diet? Do you feel that by omitting those foods, it lead to weight loss success? Or are there some people out there that have just controlled their portion sizes and ate anything they wanted?

poet_kelly
on 6/19/14 3:57 am - OH

There's very little I've omitted completely.  Let's see, I've omitted large amounts of sugar but not small amounts.  So, like, I have not had a donut since my RNY.  I could eat one or two bites of a donut but I feel like that's not worth it. 

I do NOT eat "anything" I want.  If I did that, I'd eat way too many carbs and too much sugar.  But I eat small portions of almost everything occasionally.  Like three bites of my friend's pie for dessert at a restaurant one day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sarahakers11
on 6/19/14 4:01 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

cheeze its...cause I cna eat a lot and I like them WAY TOO MUCH!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Amy D.
on 6/19/14 4:38 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

Diet Dr Pepper. Sure, it's calorie free and sugar free but I was drinking a good 12 a day pre-surgery. I've decided that drinking diet soda did nothing to help me lose weight before surgery and I'm just concerned that if I start drinking it again, or had continued drinking it, that it would be a trigger food for me. I mean, what's a soda without a bag of chips or a big ole pizza or anything else loaded with carbs?

It's been over two years since I've had soda and I still crave it every day. Crack in a can, I tell ya.

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
BWB
on 6/23/14 4:47 am

Diet coke was my addiction and thought I would never be able to lose it but I did before surgery.  I also think I crave it but one little sip and i hate it It's been three yeaars since I drank a whole one and I haven't bought one since wls.

MyLady Heidi
on 6/19/14 5:24 am

What I refuse to ever eat again is basically Junk Food, processed crap made with chemicals and preservatives, food for unknown sources or foreign waters.  I am very picky about what I eat, I spend more time reading the back of packaging then anything.  I try to eat healthy organic lean meat, cheese, brown rice, yogurt, veggies and fruit.  I still make desserts and love chocolate but I limit myself in those areas.  I find the farther out I get the more healthy my diet has become.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/19/14 5:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

In over 2 years, no pasta, no rice, no candy, no Little Debbie. That ***** isn't as nice as she looks. Until I reached my goal weight, no crap or white carbs of any kind, only protein, etc according to plan.

In the year since I reached goal, I've had pizza once, a cookie three or four times, a piece of cake once. Bread only on a sandwich, never rolls, toast, muffins, donuts, etc. Chips every three weeks or so, but only in the little bags to control portions. Every couple of weeks I'll have half a dozen fries after a meal.

I think you CAN fit some of these foods into a workable plan, but I CAN'T. Some things I can't be around, or I'll gobble them up. Abstaining is easier.

In my humble opinion, the number one food that runs people's calorie counts up without them realizing it is crackers. There is just nothing of value nutritionally, and tons of calories in those puppies. And there's no restriction. You can eat them all day long.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/14 5:57 am
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi!  I have eliminated junk food (chips, pretzels, popcorn, crackers), bread, sweets, caffeine - there are probably more foods that I don't eat now, than foods I do. LOL!  At six months out, I am still adding things back in - yesterday I tried a little pickle, last week watermelon and the week before apples.  By the time I eat my protein, veggie, and fruit, I am not hungry for more.  I have had a little sweet potato, and a little potato a few times, and half a corn cob a couple of times, but that is it for starches for me.  There are some things, like chips, that I don't plan to ever eat again - I don't have any interest in them, or in going back to where I was. So far - it's working for me!

Blackbird1987
on 6/19/14 7:44 am

Liz, You are doing FANTASTIC! You have lost a whole person! WOW! I am 3.5 months out and am doing strength training and cardio and your journey is inspiring to me! You are doing awesome! 

selhard
on 6/19/14 6:07 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Completely omitted:  alcohol, candy

Almost completely omitted by choice or by an angry pouch:  soda pop, deep-fried/breaded foods, pasta, white rice, bakery items, french fries, pizza crust, most breads, popcorn

Many have 100% food control and can claim 100% success at maintaining weight goals...need we guess on how that equation calculates.  I cannot boast such total accomplishment but am miles away from where I was pre-WLS.  The farther out I am, the more healthy food is preferred by me so I consider myself a work in progress well aware food demons are hiding behind a very shaky door at times.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 220 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?