boss problems!

karin602
on 6/20/14 7:41 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

So my boss and coworkers had a lengthy discussion today. All of them are convinced I am not eating enough. I am just about 11 months out. I showed them the plan I have from my surgeon but couldn't get them to understand and that I want to lose the twenty pounds more to get to normal. I am now wearing between a 12 & 10. They know I am struggling with some autoimmune diseases diagnosed since surgery mainly mixed connective tissue disease with lupus. They think because I have a lot of fatigue as a result eating as bit more would help. I want to be successful and still keep my support group on my side. Until today they have been my cheerleaders.

Karin

White Dove
on 6/20/14 7:48 am - Warren, OH

Someone told me when I started this journey never to take advise from someone who is not at least three years out from surgery.  Unless they have had surgery they do not know what they are talking about.  You can take sufficient vitamins and protein and still continue to lose weight.  Eating more is not the thing to do before you get to goal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cunning_Pam
on 6/20/14 7:49 am
RNY on 12/18/13

It's unfortunate that people who have been supportive of your efforts now feel that they have to "put a stop" to your efforts or something. I'm guessing their comments to you are coming from a place of concern, although it sounds like they approached it kind of like an intervention or something. I would have been very put off by that, but I guess it's what they felt they had to do to "help" you.

If you have the spoons for it, I'd say try to educate them about your autoimmune issues. Keep letting them know you're being followed closely by your doctors, and they're in agreement that you're doing fine right now. I don't know what kind of atmosphere you're working in, but from your description it sounds like a very family style work environment. It's nice to have people who care in your life, but if they're going to continue to harangue you about your health, you may have to have a private conversation with your boss explaining that although you've appreciate everyone's support it's starting to become stressful to you to deal with your coworkers and their policing of your life.

It's a tough situation, and you'll have to balance your coworker's concerns and care for you with what you know to be best for you. I wish you the best of luck with it all.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

tdbull
on 6/20/14 3:05 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
And this is one reason that I don't tell many ppl. I don't need advice from uninformed ppl. Wow, especially coworkers and bosses. I don't ever want to be that intimate with ppl I work with. Good luck to you.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/21/14 12:24 am, edited 6/21/14 12:24 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Frankly, I find this to be a form of harassment.  I'd be clear that this "intervention" is bordering on creating a hostile work environment.   

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Lori W.
on 6/21/14 12:23 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

If I would tell them anything it would be, "I can't eat more. This is what my stomach can handle." Or, "thanks for your concern, I'm following my doctor(s) plan."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics