VA - MULTI VITAMIN QUESTION

Another Fatone
on 6/29/14 9:38 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

The VA supplies my meds and vitamins. I peeled the label and underneath it says NATURE'S BRAND. They are hard to I bite them in half before swallowing. Will these vitamins work for me? Thank you

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

poet_kelly
on 6/29/14 10:00 am - OH

I don't know.  What are the ingredients?  Does it have 100% of the RDA of most things in it?  Does it include minerals like copper, zinc and selenium?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Another Fatone
on 6/29/14 11:01 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

The first vitamins I got from the Drs office were chewable. This multivitamin in not. Lots of stuff in it but No selenium though.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

poet_kelly
on 6/29/14 11:09 am - OH

You don't need a chewable multi.  The ASMBS says you do need one with selenium, though.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Another Fatone
on 6/29/14 11:38 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Can I get it from a certain food or do I need to buy a supplement? My VA clinic is RNY challenged. 

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

poet_kelly
on 6/29/14 11:56 am - OH

You can get it from foods, just like you can get all the other vitamins and minerals from food.  The problem is, it's very very very hard for us to eat enough food to get enough vitamins and minerals from food.  That's why the ASMBS says we need to take two multivitamins a day, along with calcium citrate, iron, B12, etc.

So can you get enough selenium from food?  I dunno.  The ASMBS doesn't think so.  If you want to try, I'd make sure you get your selenium level check when you get labs done.  Many docs don't routinely test for that so you may need to request it specifically.

Personally, I think I would just go buy a good generic multi and take that.  I spend $4 for 100 pills, which lasts me 50 days.  That's pretty affordable, I think.  And I am on a pretty tight budget.

Another Fatone
on 6/29/14 12:01 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

10-4 thank you

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 442 views