How much exercise after RNY?

life_mirrors_art
on 7/7/14 1:11 am - Canada

Hi, I'm two weeks out today, and wondering how soon I can resume my gentle exercise program? I'm already walking daily, and know I can't lift more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks, but what about wall squats and gentle strength training? Is it too soon to resume those activities, or should I wait? Don't want to do any damage!

jefferytmc
on 7/7/14 1:24 am

I have very little pain, but still I would recommend waiting till you get doctor clearance.

I know the feeling of wanting to get out and get going and be the new you, but honestly, you start seeing changes quickly and being cautious and not popping a staple or stitch or tearing healing muscles is worth the wait.

Just keep walking and you will be exercising like crazy soon.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Nancy
on 7/7/14 2:21 am - Kasson, MN

Just do some walking.....  It is good to keep your blood flowing!

life_mirrors_art
on 7/7/14 4:07 am - Canada

Thanks for your responses. I see the surgeon and nutritionist on Wednesday, and maybe they can give me some guidelines, as I don't see the physical therapist until August.

I would be sorry to lose the little bit of conditioning I built up pre-surgery, but if walking is the safest, then walking it will be!

jefferytmc
on 7/7/14 4:36 am

I think at my surgeon lifted my restrictions at the 3 week visit, so yes, they will probably give you guidance then.

I doubt you will lose much conditioning, walking will really keep you heading in the right direction.  And after dropping the weight the first few weeks, will make doing wall squats and such that much easier.

Keep up the good work.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

life_mirrors_art
on 7/7/14 6:09 am - Canada

Thanks Jeffery, easier wall squats would be a real bonus!  :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404