My boyfriend...

saterry
on 7/19/14 10:36 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

I get to drive baby.....that's just how I roll !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/14 11:50 pm - OH

"Drop a house"... LOL

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MyLady Heidi
on 7/19/14 8:46 am

Yup Ex's, my current boyfriend of 12 years is PERFECT, I learned from picking from people I was not compatible with that did things I could not tolerate, how to choose a person that is perfect for ME.  My boyfriend is amazing, kind, compassionate, considerate, appreciative, generous, supportive, brilliant, successful, and honestly the most amazing person I have ever met in my life.

And if you think telling someone to quit smoking or to get guns out of their house unlocked with children around or to take their medication is such a horrible thing, then I pity whatever it is that is part of your life.  Everyone needs support at one time or other, there were times I gave up trying to have wls that my boyfriend said NO YOU NEED THIS YOU ARE DIABETIC AND THIS CAN HELP YOU.  He was right, I smartened up, listened up, and got back on track.  Did he manipulate me.  Maybe.  Did he do it for evil intent **** no, he did it because he loves me.  Just like anyone who tries to get a sick person to take care of themselves is doing by making them step up and stop the pity party.  I know, I was diabetic, I felt sorry for myself, I get it, but if someone loves you and you love them, then you stop the stupidity and you take care of yourself.  Sometimes people need a reminder.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/20/14 2:56 am

So you would start taking vitamins and iron regularly if your boyfriend stamped his foot and gave you an ultimatum?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/19/14 3:25 am - Baltimore, MD

Tried that with my mom. She pulled away. Now she's dead. That's not my "fault" of course but that approach doesn't always work. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/14 3:31 am - OH

It rarely works.  Unfortunate, but true.

White Dove
on 7/18/14 2:04 pm - Warren, OH

Diabetes made me crave sugar and carbs.  Insulin made the cravings worse and made my weight go up.  A weight loss surgery might change his life like it did mine.  It is his choice but how lucky he would be to have you by his side if he made the decision to have surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/18/14 2:37 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

This is so true.  

To the OP, I can tell your heart is in the right place.  Unfortunately, advice feels a lot like criticism when you're obese. The whole world is already so critical of fat people ... I was pretty defensive when my slender husband suggested my diabetes wasn't helped by eating hash brown casserole and pancakes. Of course, he was right, but I didn't want to hear it!

I hope oboe your love has his "aha" moment sooner than later.  Until then, vent away!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Laura in Texas
on 7/18/14 10:18 pm

I had that same dilemma with my ex. He is about 50 pounds overweight but he carries it all in his belly, which we all know is bad for your health because of all the fat around your organs. I would tell him all the time how sexy he was but that if we were going to spend a long happy life together, that will be impossible if he were DEAD!! (We could be serious and funny at the same time).  

If it were me, I would tell him that in old age when someone has a health issue and the partner has to care for him, that is part of life. but if a person's choices bring on the health issues, it is not fair for the other person to be a nursemaid. Part of being in a relationship is doing what is best not only for yourself, but for the other person.

I agree with the other response about trying to find a diabetes educational class and go with him. He has to make better choices. Tell him lots of people love him and want him around for many many more years.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/14 3:32 am - OH

Excellent response, Laura!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 417 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 132 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?