Frustrated

Reinette
on 7/18/14 3:48 pm - Marlborough, MA
RNY on 06/16/14

I know that everyone has stalls and I understand the reasoning behind it but it sucks.

At my 2 week doctor's visit I had lost a pound a day if not a little more.  16.5 lbs in 2 weeks!  It is now 2 almost 3 more weeks later and I have lost an additional 3.5 lbs.  Only 3.5 lbs.  Which a few weeks ago I would have been ecstatic at any loss now I feel let down.

Grrrrrrrr

I'm only just able to exercise and I want to go all out with it but after my disastrous swim the other day I realize I need to take baby steps.

Once again Grrrrr.

Sigh

End vent/rant.  Sorry to bother you guys.

HW: 333; Weight at 1st visit: 318.6; SW: 304.4; CW: 218.4

White Dove
on 7/18/14 7:32 pm - Warren, OH

The average weight loss with RNY is 100 pounds in one year.

Month 1 - 20 pounds

Month 2-6 -10 pounds a month

Month 7-12 -5 pounds a month

You are right on track.  Your actual loss might be faster and more than this, but don't feel discouraged at 19.8 pounds the first month.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/14 3:43 am, edited 7/19/14 3:43 am - OH

I truly don't mean this to sound *****y, but I kind of cringe every time I see this posted because that information only applies to people who only have about 100 pounds or so to lose.  Perhaps you could add that "disclaimer" when you post it?  

Those numbers are only "average" if you only consider the people who have an "average" amount of weight to lose, and they are very misleading (and might be very discouraging!) for the large number of people here on OH who have twice as much weight (or more) to lose. The OP is one of those who has nearly 200 pounds to lose, and for her it is typical to lose 100 pounds in just the first 6 months.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/19/14 12:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You are exactly on track, but I know right now that's hard to hear. I lost 21 pounds my first month, and I was a big guy. Just stay on track, follow your plan, log your food, and you'll be successful.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Reinette
on 7/19/14 4:04 am - Marlborough, MA
RNY on 06/16/14

Thanks! :)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/14 4:02 am - OH

With no disrespect intended to White Dove, you can ignore the numbers she posted.  Those only apply to people who only have about 100 or so pounds to lose.  You started at a higher weight (almost exactly the same weight I started at), so it will likely only take you 6-7 months -- not a year -- to lose 100 pounds. 

The first month and, to a lesser extent, the second month are notoriously unpredictable as far as weight loss. A lot of the initial weight loss is fluid loss rather than fat, so some people may lose a lot the first two weeks and some people may not lose much at all. Some people actually gain "weight" in the hospital from the IV fluids, so they still show a gain (or very little loss) the first week or two.

Many people hit the dreaded "week three stall" and become discouraged.  It is just your body responding to the HUGE physical shock or surgery and the drastically decreased food intake.  It usually lasts two weeks, sometimes up a bit longer, and then the weight starts dropping rapidly.

As Grim said, just keep doing what you know you need to be doing and soon you will start to see much more consistent weight loss. I promise, LOL.

Everyone's rate of loss is different since metabolism, level of exercise,,and caloric intake all vary from one person to another, but FWIW, I started at 332 pounds and (according to my surgeon) had a pretty typical pattern of weight loss for the first 9 months.  I lost only 2 or 3 pounds during weeks three and four, but I lost exactly 100 pounds right on the 6-months "anniversary" of my surgery.  It took me another 10 months to lose an additional 90 pounds (but I had an almost 9 week stall at 9 months out, I was not doing much exercise the entire time because of two really bad knees, and it took several months just to get the last 20 pounds off).

It will happen.  Try not to focus too much on the numbers and instead focus on building strong healthy eating habits because THAT is what will help you KEEP the weight off.  Losing the weight after RNY is the easy part; keeping it off once the caloric malabsorption ends is much harder.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

life_mirrors_art
on 7/19/14 4:34 am - Canada

Hi ****rogirl, Thanks for mentioning that some people gain weight right after the hospital, because that is what has happened to me. It is encouraging to know that the weight will come off eventually, just not as rapidly as expected ... perhaps in hindsight the loss will seem to be quicker than it does now?

To the OP: I feel your frustration. Changing our expectations seems to be another life lesson that comes along with learning to eat for our new anatomy/lifestyles. Best of luck to all of us!  :)

Reinette
on 7/19/14 8:55 am - Marlborough, MA
RNY on 06/16/14

Thank you very much for the reply.  I actually had a 3 lb drop between yesterday and today.  I just need to stick with the program and not even weigh myself anywhere near as often.

White Dove
on 7/19/14 11:08 am - Warren, OH

I see what you mean and will not post that again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jenn1469
on 7/19/14 11:20 am

I had sleeve in 1 month I lost 20 and I think that's good.

Jennifer

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 288 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views