surgery is tomorrow.... excited and scared.

cross_89
on 7/21/14 5:52 am

Well, it is finally here. My gastric bypass surgery is tomorrow at standford have to be there at 7am. Surgery is scheduled for 9 30am.... this is my first surgery ever. And I would be lieing if I said I was not terrified. I try to think positive but I am very fearful. I pray that I make it through and cant wait to vegin my new lifes journey. I am 25 years old weigh 323 pounds. I am 5'1 and as far as my doctor and surgeon are considered I have no issue medically except I am obese. Please please tel mee what to expect and how long before ill be awake.

dragonlove
on 7/21/14 8:40 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Hello there cross_89!  Hang in there and don't make yourself crazy with the last minute worries!

I had never had any surgery either, and I also didn't have any medical issues besides being obese.   So I can understand your fears - I was right there with you except I was also 49 years old!  Your surgeon should be able to tell you how long your surgery will take.  Mine was done robotic, so it took around 3 hours.  Done manually, I think it is often around 90 minutes.  You'll first have the prep at the hospital... at some point you'll find yourself pretty relaxed and realize that they've slipped you a little something in your IV!  Then you'll go into surgery and be zonked out pretty quickly.  If you are like me, you'll probably wake up a couple of times in the recovery room and chat with the nurses there.  When they think you're recovered enough, they will take you up to your room.  Don't worry about how long it will be before you'll be awake... you are sleeping and don't care. :)

Now, at this point, hopefully your prep classes have you ready to "sip and walk"!  As soon as you are able to get clearance from your nurses (about 30 minutes or an hour maybe after you get to your room), sip on some water then go for a walk.

I'm not lying to you... you'll be fully aware that you've done some surgery on your body.  It will hurt some to walk, but it gets better.  You might not be able to drink more than a swallow at a time, but that too will get better.  Bending over to pull down panties to pee is tricky... but also something to celebrate - the sooner you pee, the better you are drinking and the better your guts are waking up!

Keep a good attitude and focus on following your instructions!

I only stayed in the hospital overnight - I went home by afternoon the day after my surgery, but many stay for two nights.

You can use the search icon (magnifying glass) at the top right of this screen to search for other posts where people answered newbies questions.  Try searching for "what to expect" and phrases like that. That can help you get more information.

I hope things go really well for you. Mine went great overall and I don't regret it even a tiny bit!  See you on the losers bench!!!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

JA
on 7/21/14 8:50 am - East Haven, CT

Best of Luck!  You won't be sorry!

cspotrun
on 7/21/14 9:11 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I had a catheter when I woke up (I was happy for it so I didn't have to get up and pee all the time!), which was left in until the day after surgery.  I also wasn't allowed to sip until the day after surgery.  But I was up and walking on surgery day by the afternoon.  It's uncomfortable, but I had a morphine pump attached to me that I could press whenever it was painful.  I spent 2  nights in the hospital and was ready to come home by the 2nd day post op.  Each day gets a little better.  You will do great!!!

Karen   

AAMommy0904
on 7/21/14 11:16 am

Hello. I just had my surgery last Monday. I was scared too. Like you I have no real health issues. I remember before I went in for surgery they gave me some meds in my iv to make me feel better. They said it was like an instant 6 pack!!  Then he gave me more and I was very relaxed. I didn't even remember going into the operating room. The next thing I really remember was being in my room. Everything was over and went well. I felt pretty good and continue to feel good now. Just do as they tell you and get your walking in. That really helps. Good luck. Everything will be fine!! Just think positive thoughts!

Lisa C.
on 7/21/14 11:38 am - Niagara Falls, NY

My experience was much like what Pam described, I had my surgery just last Monday, and I am doing very well.  I was so excited to finally be having the surgery that I was not very nervous but rather anxious to just keep moving forward.  I will be sending good vibes your way, talk to you on the loser's bench!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 306 views