Really Need HELP

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/14 11:01 am

Buy him a freezer in the garage.Out of site out of mind.

siberiancat
on 7/23/14 2:28 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Keeping a written food diary really helps me.  I write everything down.  I eat protein first, then veggies, then fruit. - every meal and snack.  I have to be gluten free so that helps and I don't buy gluten free junk food (crackers, cookies, etc.).  I add up calories, grams of carbs and ounces of fluid - after lunch and again after supper.  Then I know where I'm at.

I find eating protein first, then veggies and fruit - I rarely have room for  junk.  I'm also a food snob - I only eat good quality.  My husband is a cheap shopper and his cheap chips, and candy don't tempt me - I only want good stuff.

I also find reading about nutrition and behavior (controlling thoughts) helpful.  Click on my name or picture and you will find an extensive reading list.  I suggest you start with The Beck Diet (it isn't a diet as much as changing your thinking).

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

tdbull
on 7/23/14 3:48 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Thanks, Penny. I'll get on Amazon and start with the Beck Diet book. Anything that will help me, I'll try.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Friends K.
on 7/23/14 8:24 am
RNY on 01/14/14

I read this post in the morning and I've been thinking of it all day. I'm proud of you for asking for help.  I'm afraid I'd act like it was shameful and I'd hide from my own truth.  Speaking out is important for you and for others.

I have asked my husband to take his treats to work.  If I don't like that treat it can be in our house, sour patch crap, Swedish fish, star bursts and such.

I know I'm working on having alternatives for treats.  I love my protein shakes made into ice cream when my family is having ice cream I can too.  Spaghetti squash works great for me when I'm craving pasta.  Sugar free pudding or dark 86% chocolate work when I 'need' something especially during that time of the month. 

I know I can never eat like those around me.  I'm not normal and I'll never be normal. 

Planning ahead to avoid my triggers is important for me.  If I know I'm going to be alone with cake or cookies...could I have a no bake high protein ball or a sugar free popsicle?  I'm not likely to over eat in front of others....I am likely to hide to do it.  So calling myself out to my husband works for me.  "I'm struggling with the buffet table at this social event, could you help me stay away or make me a high protein tray so I don't go and hide behind the bar and pop cream puffs in my mouth?"  Or just telling him I'm making a choice to have this but then saying outloud when I'm finished.  "I'm going to have 3 mini donuts and then I'm done...OK?" 

When I'm craving something, I talk to myself first about having a high protein item.  Greek yogurt with PB2 and sF carmel sauce with a few apple slices is my go to as I always have it available.  I want less of what was calling my name when my pouch is already full of protein goodness.  It is a battle, I know I can have anything...my pouch is ok with every food....but just because I can doesn't mean I should!!!

I say that out loud often during the day..."Just because I can doesn't mean I should!!!!"

We say the right thing about "lifestyle changes" and these modifications are those behaviors but they are what I"ve always done while dieting....I know how but I don't always do the right thing.  Why?  I don't know why.  I suppose some therapy would help but I'm afraid to find someone, to tell them my stories...I'm ashamed.  I use excuses like it is expensive and not covered by my insurance but the reality is I'm afraid of mental health professionals...ugh stupid uh?

I know that I talk out loud to myself to keep me on track.  I have little places I vent to online.  I keep working on remembering "why I started" I remind myself that my perception of normal is Off... no one gets to eat like I did and be thin and fit. 

Try self stimulus things like a rubber band on your wrist and you snap it when you have "stinkin 'thinkin'"  or do 15 jumping jacks before you give into junk that you know you don't need or even want.

Plan a moment to savor what you're craving.. Plan it, light a candle, set out the good china, make time to savor 3 or 4 bites. 

Only eat when sitting down at a table designed for eating.  No spoons in the ice cream from the freezer.  No chips stuffed in your mouth in the car or standing in the pantry.

Call a friend, read a book, shop for a new nail polish, watch a you tube video on a new skill to distract yourself

This is the advice I have to do to keep myself on track.

The best one I know is when a thought attacks me that I need/want this or that....I replace that thought with what else do I want or need.  I need to stay off my blood pressure medicine, I need to wear the jeans I bought this week, I want to feel my hip bones.    I focus on that want or need for 30 seconds and my brain starts to give up on the other perceived need/want.  My brain can't want and need two or more things at a time especially when they are the opposite of each other!

And I must exercise.  It keeps me motivated to eat well.  I do it in the morning so I know I've already jump started my day!  It helps me be mindful and do less grazing. 

I already realize I could easily out eat my pouch by grazing all day. 

I don't know if these help you but they are part of my daily conversations and then just being accountable.  I have my diary on myfitness pal open for all to see.  I need to not be ashamed of my choices...shame is a lot of what got me here. 

Hugs, take care of you. seek stillness to understand your next right choice, remember that food is for nourishment not anything else and keep talking so all can learn from you!

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 367 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 463 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 286 views