EGD Tuesdsay, chest cold today!

Sheri R.
on 7/25/14 6:00 am - Aberdeen, WA

Happy Friday, everyone! I have a fairly general question.  I am scheduled for my EGD on Tuesday but I caught a cold this week.  Figures.  :\  Should I be concerned about having a procedure done just after (or at the end of) being sick?  I am taking Mucinex and other cold meds to keep the coughing down and I will call my doctor on Monday and tell her where I am in my cold cycle, but I was just wondering if anyone else was worried about having a cough or congestion before the EGD.  Thanks!  :) 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/25/14 6:24 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am not a medical expert -- (although I do have an RN degree) -- and I think that sedation is a little more risky with a cold/congestion.  I would talk to my doctor and see what she says.  Perhaps I am overly cautious, but I would probably reschedule on the side of safety.    

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sheri R.
on 7/25/14 2:56 pm - Aberdeen, WA

Thanks, Kathryn.  I was afraid of that.  :)  I am on the fringes of the medical industry (medical transcriptionist for a hospital) and my gut tells me the same thing.  I am so sad that I might have to push back my EGD because it took 6 weeks to get this one but I definitely don't want to mess things up at this stage!  I don't see the nutritionist until Aug. 13 but that is supposed to be my final appointment before going to the insurance company.  Oh well.  Maybe it will be gone by Monday (doubtful) but I know in the long run I would feel safer waiting until there is no congestion at all.  Who authorized a second chest cold for me this summer anyway?  I am not amused.  :) 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/26/14 5:41 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Aww.  I am so sorry.  It really does suck.  I am hoping that you will be feeling better by Monday and that this will be a moot point.  :-)

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sheri R.
on 7/26/14 6:32 am - Aberdeen, WA

I hope so!  I am actually feeling better today. Here's hoping it resolves itself in time!  I don't know how long it will be after the insurance company gets involved before I can have my surgery but I am really hoping it isn't very long.  I will feel so much better when it has been scheduled.

Mona Mee
on 7/27/14 3:26 am - Largo, MD
RNY on 07/17/14

I'm glad you're feeling better! I actually had hellified allergies when I had mine. Was congested too. Still got it done though...keep drinking fluids and taking those meds around the clock! I hope it all subsides for you ☺️

RNY 7/17/2014!! Decided to stop kidding myself about what I'm really doing with my life. Excited for getting back to me!!   

Sheri R.
on 7/27/14 4:53 am - Aberdeen, WA

Thank you, Mona!  I am pushing fluids and taking Mucinex.  :)  I hope I can still have it on Tuesday.  I have a long car ride home after the procedure and I am soooo afraid that I am going to be nauseous from the conscious sedation.  Well that and the fact that my 18-year-old son is my ride home!  I think I am more worried about how things will go afterward than I am about anything else, lol.   So you had you surgery 10 days ago?  How are you feeling?  Is it anything like you thought? 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 178 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 371 views
Recent Topics