Getting through two weeks of shakes

Changes14
on 7/28/14 2:03 pm

Started shakes today.  RNY surgery is scheduled for 8.11.14.  Today was okay on shakes.  I did get a headache this evening.  I felt light headed a little bit too.   Any suggestions as to making it through the two weeks?  Thanks in Advance!

jefferytmc
on 7/28/14 10:52 pm

The headache and lightheadedness are often due to your salt level being too low.  Grab a couple of the little salt packets from a fast food place and take one of them, or add it to your shake, or somehow consume just a bit more salt.  Usually shortly after you take the salt you start feeling better.

As for the rest of the making it through 2 weeks of shakes, just drink lots of water in between to stay satiated, and just keep in mind that it is a very short step to your long term goal.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Gwen M.
on 7/29/14 12:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The first 3-4 days are the worst for most people.  So I kept telling myself, "If I can just make it through the first three days, I'll be fine!"  

And I was.  Be patient, you can do this :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jazzycatz
on 7/29/14 12:24 am - Joppa, MD

Your headache could also be from a lack of caffeine. When I hit day 3 the constant hunger went away. It was like my body decided that wasn't working and turned it off. I just had to keep it one meal (shake) at a time. My worst times were during lunch at the office with everyone heating up their food. I starting talking short walks around the building during that time if I could. And I had to stay away from TV. Food, food, food all over that damn thing.

I was also extremely lucky that my husband gets home earlier than I do and he made his own dinner and would eat before I got home. Bless him.

LISER617
on 7/29/14 5:57 am - MA
RNY on 08/01/14

I was starving and having headaches for the first 4 days as well. Then all of a sudden on the 5th day it was easy peasy!! I am able to have a light dinner on my plan too which is crucial to my success.  It will get better , quicker than you think! good luck!

Lisa (38) my goal is 160 lbs.... my dream is happy and healthy

Changes14
on 7/29/14 9:29 pm

Thank you for the words of support of and advice.  I am trying to take to it one day at a time.  The headaches are definitely the worst! I will try the salt trick.  I was drinking tea so I am sure it could be caffeine related.  Have a great day!!

Frankie82
on 8/4/14 12:49 pm
RNY on 08/07/14

I doctored my shakes up as much as I could just to get some variety in. I did (okay, 1 day left lol) Glucerna for 30 days. I had 4 flavours to pick from and I alternated as much as I could. Some tricks I did so I didn’t feel like I was have a shooter for lunch:

-blended with ice. Added some bulk and made me feel fuller, longer. I also added a pinch of xanthan gum every now and then. Made it super thick and milk-shake like

-heated it up. I wasn’t allowed coffee/tea on my pre-op so I heated up the chocolate one on the stove and used my imagination (a lot) as used it as a substitute for my occasional coffee. Plus, being hot, I drank it slower so that helped with the feeling full.

-put it through an ice-cream maker. Because it was so cold, I had to eat it slowly, which also helped with the satiety. Plus, I was able to eat with utensils, like a grown-up!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views