Still Undecided....HELP......RNY vs SLEEVE??

Karen H.
on 7/27/14 7:21 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I am leaning toward the RNY but I need to know the benefits and disadvantages of RNY as compared to the Sleeve. I was also thinking of the Sleeve but I don't want to lose this slowly. Will that happen?  I have 110 lbs to lose. No other health problems. Please be honest. Thanks!! 

Louise1974
on 7/27/14 9:40 am

I have the RNY and am very happy with it.  I had 100 lbs or so to lose and lost it in 10 months, I maintained until about two months ago when for several reasons I gained about five pounds.  Even though I am very happy with the RNY I think the sleeve is a pretty great choice.  You can still take NSAID pain relievers with the sleeve and you do not deal with vitamin malabsorption.  I went with the rny because I wanted the possible benefit (?) or dumping.  You only have a 30% chance of dumping post rny though.  The dumping (or fear of it) helps me because I have a history of binging and craving carbs and even the small amount of dumping that I do get really helps me manage that.  It is a hard decision, I remember feeling really overwhelmed with it.  In the end rny just felt right for me.  Also, it has been around longer and I felt better knowing that long term statistics were available.  I am not an expert here, but with 100 lbs to lose I imagine the sleeve would be fine.  It might take a wee bit longer but you don't have that much to lose (relatively) so I think you would be okay.  People who are looking to lose 200+ lbs might do better with a malabsoptive surgery I imagine.  Good luck with your decision!

Bonnie250
on 7/27/14 10:02 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Originally I wanted the sleeve. period. i had a really back and forth waivering between the RNY and sleeve. I also have mild acid reflux that i was concerned about. what i advise you to do, is what i did, make another appt to talk to your doctor. But, remember he wont make the decision for you, but he will give you the facts, ask lots of questions. write them down....in the end i feel like the RNY is for me, i also have 100 lbs to lose. i am 5-5" and weigh 244. he did tell me the loss is higher with the RNY, and although there is the issues with not being able to take NSAIDS and malabsorbtion of vitamins, in the end i decided to go with the RNY, plus if you have a big sweet tooth, sleeves tolerate sweets way better that RNY's....so if you feel like later down the road you may be tempted to slide in sweets a little too much, with the sleeve you can(so i am told) i like to be restricted from that, so i will go sugar free, and if i indulge in a treat, it will have to be sugar free with the RNY...good luck, keep me posted as to what you decide to go with!

Bonnie

White Dove
on 7/27/14 11:08 am - Warren, OH

With RNY you will lose easier and possibly a bit faster than with the sleeve.  You may also have problems with constipation, diarrhea, digestion and malabsorption of vitamins and minerals.  You will lose you phyletic valve and food will dump quickly into the intestines after eating that can cause dumping if you eat too much sugar.

Weight loss with any of the surgeries depend on your willingness to follow the food plan.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

karin602
on 7/28/14 8:47 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

It is really up to you. Run is better if you have a I'd reflux. I chose it becuz I have diabetes and taking insulin and buyers. I no longer take any diabetic meds and have great readings. Two other people in my company had the sleeve and are doing fine. They eat way differently than I do. Even indulge in some sweets. I have no craving for sweets but did before the surgery. Never met a do it I didn't like! Frosting out of the can made my day. After more than a year since having any of this I really don't miss it at all. So it all comes down to what you feel is right for you. No one can make the decision for you. Both are good surgeries. But I also read many posts where someone with a sleeve goes for a rny revision at some point.keep that in mind d when deciding. Good luck whichever you choose.

Karin

LittleMiss2013
on 7/29/14 3:14 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I will tell you what I wish someone would have told ME. If you have any kind of debilitating injury or disease that you take regular pain medicine for...you will NOT absorb the pain medicine the same after surgery. It won't work for you like it did. Not just that you can't take Nsaids or "time release" pain killers.....but MOST medicine...including the regular pain medicine will only last 1 1/2 - 2 hours max after surgery. Unless of coarse it is administered through an IV etc then it's fine.

No one told ME that about regular medication....only Nsaids etc. I would have said no, had I known.

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Jocelyn F.
on 7/30/14 4:01 am - VA
RNY on 07/28/14

if I didn't have a nasty case of GERD I may have ended up choosing the sleeve. You don't have all the malabsorption and you keep the valve at the bottom of your stomach. But since I do have pretty bad reflux I never considered the sleeve, at least not after I found that it tends to make reflux worse while RNY will generally greatly reduce or eliminate it entirely. I also don't mind the idea of dumping if I'm one of the RNYers who that happens to. It'll help keep me honest.

Valerie G.
on 7/30/14 4:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here are some things to consider

Sleeve

• NSAIDS okay
  • May worsen GERD if it exists pre-op
  • Working stomach with all parts intact
  • Works by restriction of how much food can be consumed 

RNY

• NO NSAIDS
  • Seems to lessen GERD symptoms for those suffering pre-op
  • Blind unused stomach bypassed -pouch and artificial stoma used instead.
  • Works with a combination of restriction and metabolic changes
    • Extra vitamins taken to make up for malabsorption
    • Extra protein taken to make up for malabsorption
    • Type 2 Diabetes usually goes to remission quickly and remains as long as ewl is maintained

DS

• NSAIDS Okay
  • May worsen GERD if it exists pre-op
  • Working stomach with all parts intact
  • Works with a combination of restriction and highest level of metabolic changes
    • Extra vitamins taken to make up for malabsorption
    • Extra protein taken to make up for malabsorption
    • Highest rate of ewl with lowest rate of regain
    • Cures 98% of Type 2 diabetes

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 536 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views