tanning outside a month out

Eno
on 7/30/14 12:24 am - ocala, FL

I had open RNY a month ago and I'm thinking about going outside and tanning I was obsessed with tanning before surgery will it be OK or is it too soon. ?

jefferytmc
on 7/30/14 12:29 am

When my wife saw her surgeon before summer, he said for her to make sure she used high SPF sunscreen on her incision spots as it was very prone to sunburns.  She told him she was not going to be wearing a bikini, so no worries.

So, I would guess, you might want to limit exposure to the sun at your incision areas.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

MyLady Heidi
on 7/30/14 2:27 am

Just remember too much of a good thing causes serious harm to your skin.  I would cover the incision until next year and don't over-do the sun.  My scars are all tanned now except the ones I got two weeks ago and they look fine but I didn't tan them until they were at least a year old.

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/14 2:45 am

Tanning can be an addiction.I know I have it when summer comes around.

LalahRose
on 7/30/14 7:19 am - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

Sounds wonderful and I understand as I adore the sun also! Cover up your incisions and use lots of sunscreen - a really high quality type that moisturizes your skin well.

selhard
on 7/31/14 4:45 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Reading tanning advice from someone living in Canada to someone living in Florida made me smile  :)

LalahRose
on 7/31/14 12:19 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

Ha ha! Glad you smiled!

Canada is a land of weather extremes....it's freezing in winter and scorching hot in summer. We have long, sunny, fry-an-egg on the sidewalk blistering summer days, and plenty of heatwaves. Our summers are short, so folks do tend to think of us as a cold-only climate, but we do have humid, muggy, swampy hot summer days too.

angeleigh
on 7/30/14 7:37 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

While it's always important to protect your skin from the sun's rays, it's especially important to cover up scars.

That's because sun damage to healing skin can last much longer than that weekend suntan.

A number of factors go into how visible a scar will be once the skin's healing process ends. Factors such as genetics and the nature of the wound cannot be controlled, but another factor -- care of the scar -- can, and one of the most important ways to care for a scar is to protect it from the sun.

Scars are particularly sensitive to sunlight and can sunburn faster than healthy skin, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Once a scar becomes sunburned, it can remain discolored or darkened and may not fade back to match the color of your healthy skin.

For that reason, if you've got a fresh scar, doctors advise avoiding exposing the wound to the sun altogether. Try wearing protective clothing such as shirts with long sleeves, long pants or large-brimmed hats.

If clothing doesn't cover the scar, make sure to use a sunscreen. Sun blocks that use zinc and titanium are recommended, but any sunscreens that have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or greater should be acceptable if applied frequently.

In addition to avoiding the sun, you can also take a proactive role in helping your scar heal by rubbing or massaging the wound for about five to 10 minutes twice daily. And if the wound required stitches, avoid rigorous activity such as contact sports or rough activities for about two weeks.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Eno
on 7/30/14 10:52 am - ocala, FL

Thanks for the replies back its just a idea i love to soak up the sun...  But my scar is pretty fresh so i think ill wait. Rather be safe than sorry

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/14 12:31 am

Just cover your scar up.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views