Funny situation yesterday -- #BariatricProblems

Blackbird1987
on 7/31/14 11:27 pm

I am just a few days over my 5 month mark and am down 97lbs. I am feeling better than ever and am just lovin' life. 

I work from home for a very large company and I have to say, it has made this journey so much easier and more cost effective for me since I have been able to heal at home, cook my own meals all day and avoid having to wear/buy work clothes for the last few months. I have been working from home for 3 years so you can imagine how limited my professional wardrobe is. In fact, the only time that I wear work clothes is when I have a conference to go to or if I travel to our HQ in MA for a week or so. 

Yesterday I received a call to come in for an interview to a local company here in NY State. A friend had mentioned that I had been looking at a career change and as luck would have it, the hiring manager reached out and asked if I could come down for a quick interview yesterday afternoon. Without even blinking I agreed and said I would be there in an hour. I wasn't even thinking but WHAT WAS I GOING TO WEAR!? HAHA!

The last time I wore my work slacks and blazer, it was the beginning of February, my highest weight. I remember crying in the hotel because I had to stuff myself into my slacks and lay down to zip them up. I was worried all that day that the button would go flying off across the office or that people would stare at my inner-tube under my shirt from my stomach roll. Yesterday I dragged out those same pants thinking "Surely they will fit now and couldn't be too loose since they were so tight only 5 months ago". To my happy and frantic surprise, I could pull them 6+ inches away from my body now and if I had worn them, they would have dropped to the floor!

I know this is a long rant but it was such a cool moment. On one hand, I was so stressed but on the other I was so happy! I ended up finding a pair of navy capris and put on an old business top that I had to tuck in the back and threw on a cardigan to cover up the bulge of loose clothes! The interview was very in-formal and the woman and I got along great (she offered me the job but I don't think I am going to accept it because it is a bit of a pay cut) I ended up laughing at the end and explaining that I would never go to an interview looking the way I did yesterday, that I had just had WLS and lost 97lbs and had nothing to wear. She was very sweet and said that she thought I looked cute! haha! 

I hope this is relatable to some of you or gives you a chuckle on this Friday morning. I have been holding off on buying new clothes but perhaps it is time to start shopping! haha

-Ashley

Kidda G.
on 7/31/14 11:43 pm

Sounds like a memorable experience all-around. Kudos to you! 

Blackbird1987
on 8/1/14 12:33 am

Thank you! 

White Dove
on 7/31/14 11:46 pm - Warren, OH

One of the bad things about working from home is getting complacent about clothes.  Glad you pulled something together and that the interview went well.  I always think of interviews like dating. 

You can enjoy the date but don't have to get married.  There will always be more opportunities.  The next interview might be a perfect match.  So get a few good interview outfits prepared.  When I was hired for my current job, I had an interview on Monday and the second on Tuesday.  Three interviews are pretty common.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Blackbird1987
on 8/1/14 12:34 am

Thank you! I am definitely excited to go buy some new professional outfits! 

karenp8
on 8/1/14 12:27 am - Brighton, IL

Sounds like it's time to go clothes shopping. I am disabled and don't work. Before surgery I sat around in sweasts and sloppy t shirts every day. Now I get up every day and put on cute casual clothes every day just because I can! I am a big fan of resale shops and Goodwill and have found nice casual clothes and even designer things at extremely reasonable prices. Congratulations on your amazing weight loss!

Blackbird1987
on 8/1/14 12:35 am

My fiance and I always joke that I don't get dressed until the end of the work day to go out at night with him for dinner or a date. I have a few dresses and some cute tops but nothing that I could wear to an interview per se. I am excited to go shopping! :) Thank you! 

BlackRoseRNY
on 8/1/14 2:31 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with

Good for you!  It's a great feeling!

teacherford
on 8/1/14 2:54 am
RNY on 06/09/14

I am almost 8 weeks out and had the same problem. All my professional clothes are too big. The few I tried on, I realized I couldn't go for the interview in a week in them. So my MIL took me shopping to get me an interview outfit. As a teacher, I am so used to teaching in jeans and top, or workout pants. We get to be very causal. Luckily my surgeon does a clothing exchange (it just wasn't before my interviews) and in the future I can use them to get some new clothes before I really have to switch out my whole wardrobe.

HW: 322.8 SW: 305.3 RNY 6/9/14. Preop Loss: -17.5 M1: -22.4 W5: -4.5  W6: -1.6 W7: -4.7 W8: -3.3 M2: -14.1 W9: -2.8 W10: -3.7 W11: -2.9 W12: -3.1 M3: -12.5 W13: -6.1 W14: -3.2 W15: -3 W16: -2.5 M4:-14.8 W17: -4.2 W18:-4.5 W19:-3.6 W20: -0 M5: -12.3 W21:-.5 W22: -4.5 W23:-9 W24: -3.4 M6:-17.4 W25:-2

samhain
on 8/1/14 3:05 am

LOL! What an amazing feeling, I will cherish the day my pants fall to the floor! :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics