What's on your menu today, RNYers?

AnnyBananny
on 8/4/14 10:08 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Good morning, good morning OH! What a great post yesterday - so many contributors, it made me happy. I say it all the time, but it always bears repeating - you all help me so much! Keeping up with this post throughout the day keeps my plan at the forefront of my mind and really assists in keeping me on track - thank you!

This is another very busy week for me, but I'm keeping ME as a priority and making sure to get my workouts and good choices in. 

What are you eating today?

Time since surgery: 21 weeks today

B: Loaded Greek Yogurt (what else?)

S: Chike! and the last portion of Skinny Pop (which I want to buy for myself but don't think I should LOL)

L: Buffalo chicken salad with Fiber Gourmet Wheat Thinables

S before workout: almonds 

D: Omelet with turkey sausage crumbles and leftover bleu cheese from the buffalo chicken salad

S: Cool Whip FroYo

TOTALS: Calories 821, Protein 82, Carbs 58, Fat 41

V/W: started (I'm trying to drink 8oz of water first thing in the AM so I can jump start a bit)

E: It's BodyPump night, I hope. I have a fundraiser for the Library tonight, but I think I'll be able to leave in time

These are the Fiber Gourmet Thinabales that I've been enjoying lately. Of course there are carbs, since they're crackers - but the 1oz serving is like a thousand crackers, 10g of fiber (!!!), 4g protein, and only 70 calories. I've been ok working these into my plan and they're perfect for eating with this Buffalo Chicken dip. Anyway, I highly recommend them. What are some of your favorite products? A few of my others include the Chike High Protein Coffee powder, The Good Bean Roasted Chick Peas with Sea Salt, and Hormel Mini Turkey Pepperoni. 

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Dcgirl
on 8/4/14 10:48 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Ok, so many things to comment on...

I also love seeing so many people contribute to the post - love the ideas and the inspiration and the accountability!

Favorite products - well Chike high protein iced coffee is the BOMB (I tried the mocha flavor today and stick with the original), The Good Bean roasted chickpeas smoky chili and lime flavor, Skinny Pop (how the hell you made that tiny 100 calorie bag last 3 days is beyond me), chicken sausages from Trader Joe's because they sit well with me, are fast and easy to make, and vary in flavor so it always seems like something new, lobster and crab (yum!) and Flat Out Light Italian wraps - half of one makes a great pizza base with some cheese and turkey pepperoni.  

My little week long stall broke and today I weighed in at 201.  Yep, I am 1 pound and 1 ounce away from Onederland.  Be on the lookout for an ecstatic post sometime very soon lol.

I meticulously planned today's menu - not eating out thank god and have some good things planned.

Time Since Surgery: Almost 8 months

B: Chike high protein mocha coffee drink.  Eh.

L: Leftover "more than tofu - peanut ginger" from Trader Joe's.  Not the most delicious thing I have ever made but I waste enough food that I don't want to throw it away

S: Trader Joe's 0% fat greek yogurt honey flavored - I bought chia seeds and sliced almonds so I am gonna try this loaded snack before the gym

D: Spicy jalapeño chicken sausage also from TJs, made on my new cast-iron grill pan.  Seasoned brussels sprouts on the side

E: 25 minutes of personal training, 35 minutes on the elliptical thingy

V: Morning dose in

Totals will be 800 calories, 78 g of protein, 40 g carbs.  I may have another snack (like almonds or a 100 calorie pack of Skinny Pop - TBD).

Have an awesome day, everyone!

Angela_Italiana
on 8/4/14 11:14 pm - CA
RNY on 03/04/13

I look forward to that Onederland post from you! I'll be doing a happy-dance for you :)

AnnyBananny
on 8/4/14 11:47 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Emily, ya! I'm excited you're going to try this Loaded Greek Yogurt fad - you know it's my favorite breakfast, but I think it will be an awesome pre-workout snack too, protein + carbs = perfect!

As for the Skinny Pop, it has only be sheer will power! I ate half the bag on Sunday night, measured out, in a bowl with the other half pushed to the back of the cabinet. Then when I was planning yesterday I didn't have enough calories to have the whole other half, so I divided it into two little snack bags. Even that little snack bag worth was totally satisfying for a morning snack though. 

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND - ya for 201! You're so close, you'll be there before you know it. I can't wait, wait, wait!

Angela_Italiana
on 8/4/14 11:14 pm - CA
RNY on 03/04/13

I love this thread as well! I definitely agree that it helps to keep myself on point, but I love to hear how everyone is doing, and get great new ideas for meals. So are here are some of my kitchen "must-haves" post surgery:

Low-fat cottage cheese: I was never much of a fan of this prior to surgery (probably because I was too busy eating breakfast sandwiches from any takeout place available.. I digress). I LOVE LOVE LOVE to top cottage cheese with fresh fruit, particularly berries. But anything is great!

Rolled Oats: I don't do the pre-packaged oats because they still tend to have sugar and salt in them. But this can be doctored up any way you like. I generally only have this for breakfast, and on days where I know I'll have a particularly strenuous workout. I know many people are scared of carbs, but if you eat the right kind of carbohydrates (complex) they can be a great source of energy!

Black Beans: Another good carb, that is extremely versatile! So tasty with most meals. I make a spicy/citrus-y version that pairs really well with salmon.. MMMmmm Mmmm Good :)

Time since Surgery: 17 Months

Breakfast: Rolled oats with a tablespoon of PB2, and six raspberries

S: Small apple with deli ham (post-workout)

L: Grilled chicken breast w/ salad (cucumber, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, splash balsamic, oregano)

S: Protein Shake (Unsweetened Almond Milk & 2 scoops Syntrax Cappuccino)

D: Pork chops, butternut squash, spinach

Totals: 1161 Cals, 71g Carbs, 128g Protein

Exercise: 30 Minutes of Walking, 30 Minutes with my personal trainer (exhausted!)

Water: Should be around 10 cups

Vitamins: Only one more set to go

I also want to mention, now that I am farther out from surgery, and I can incorporate more non-protein items such as fruit and veggies, I like to eat as clean as possible. I try very hard to keep anything processed out of my diet. Now of course that doesn't mean I don't have tortilla chips once in a while or anything else, but I like that way simple ingredients taste and make me feel. I only say this because, in the beginning I remember being very frustrated that I couldn't eat a lot of fruit or vegetables, and I sometimes felt bored of just nothing but protein. It gets better :)

AnnyBananny
on 8/4/14 11:40 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Here you are with your crazy protein again! I love it!

Thanks for your note about "whole foods," Emily and I were discussing all the chemicals in our diet on Sunday and it is true - earlier out you aren't able to eat as naturally, at least not as easily. I look forward to moving my diet more towards natural and fresh when I'm further out.

Your breakfast sounds delicious. Whenever I see Karen posting about her oatmeal I want it - but right now I'm just not comfortable with that many carbs...maybe I should try it anyway!

Angela_Italiana
on 8/4/14 11:47 pm - CA
RNY on 03/04/13

Rolled oats are great, but wait until you feel comfortable with it. It took me quite a long time for my stomach to be able to handle them, as well as my mind haha. Carbs really are a scary thing in the beginning, probably because most of us associate carbs with prior bad eating habits. 

I think you all are doing great with your food choices, and wish I had been so creative..maybe I wouldn't have gotten so bored!

Dcgirl
on 8/4/14 11:45 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Angela - good point about the wholesome food!  I know one of my favorites (chicken sausages) are not the most natural items lol.  I do enjoy fresh and clean items too.  It's so nice to hear from someone so far out who is doing well, eating well, exercising, continuing to lose weight, and contributing to OH.  Seriously, thanks.

Thanks for the happy dance!  I will be sure to share when I hit the 199.X weight!!!!!  Maybe later this week!

When is your upcoming trip?  Do you feel ready with the right snacks?  Em

Angela_Italiana
on 8/4/14 11:56 pm - CA
RNY on 03/04/13

In the early days for me I would eat the protein that my stomach would agree with.. as long as it was terribly high in fat, I allowed myself. Its hard enough to sometimes find things we tolerate, so I say, when it comes to protein, eat what works for you (within reason, obviously!). 

I'm definitely ready for my trip. Eight days and counting! I bought a large bag of edamame in pods, and boiled them, then put them in a gallon bag and in to freezer. Those are coming on the plane with me, and should be defrosted by takeoff. I noticed on long flights I never really want one or two big meals, but like to snack (probably that boredom thing). Edamame is perfect for that and high in protein. I'm also going to be bringing some deli meat/cheese rollups, almonds, and some fresh fruit, and a packet of my protein powder. I'll have a nice meal before my flight takes off so i'm not starving! I think that should be ok for 11hours :)

Dcgirl
on 8/5/14 12:13 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

You have a great plan in place!  And if you are flying out of the new Queen's terminal there is totally a healthy WLS-friendly restaurant.  I wish I remembered the name. 

I just bought some roasted edamame in a bag the other day.  I am going to need to spice it up with dry spices.  I might bake it again with some curry powder or something.  TBD.

You will do great on the long trip with your good plan!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics