9months out... over-eating... stomach ulcer

fionax
on 8/2/14 10:45 am - VA

Does anyone have any experience with having a marginal stomach ulcer? I have one and have been on carafate treatment for 2 months now but I am getting the acid hunger which is so hard to ignore and I know I am over eating. I have gained 5 pounds from my lowest weight.

I am not at my goal weight yet so this is upsetting. How do you ignore the gnawing acid hunger?

Grateful for advice :-)

HW: 280    SW: 235     Surgery date: 10/28/13

The Salty Hag
on 8/3/14 12:51 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I was diagnosed with one last month. My surgeon put me on Carafate-4 times a day, and upped my Omeprazole to twice a day. 

I've only had one or two episodes since being on the Carafate. If you've been on it for two months and you are still having those awful acid pains, you should call your surgeon. My surgeon told me if I didn't see improvement in my symptoms after 6 weeks, to call them. If I was going by what my surgeon told me, I'd be on the phone ASAP tomorrow morning. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

fionax
on 8/3/14 6:43 am - VA

Thanks for the reply. How do you time your carafate? I'm on it 3 times a day but it's hard to schedule it as it has to be at least 2 hours after food or an hour before... and no dairy (i.e. no decaf coffee) for an hour before or after. It means I'm hungry all the time.

I think you're right though, I need to let my surgeon know as it doesn't seem right.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/3/14 1:33 pm

I get them once in a while. And get on Carafate 4-5 x a day initially then can get on 3 times a day. I had an opposite reaction to carafate - because I had to take it between eating I could eat less not more and the carafate absorbs acid so I was less hungry than without it as long as i drank enough water.  Every time I get on carafate I lose weight not gain, because I simply can't eat enough in between... 

To me it sounds as you not taking enough of it or not as prescribed. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

fionax
on 9/2/14 10:43 pm - VA

Thanks for the replies. It turns out that the lanzoprazole and carafate, and then nexium were all not controlling my acid and my ulcer perforated last week which was not fun! I am now on Protonix suspension so hopefully that will control the acid. 

I had surgery and they patched up the hole. I don't understand why they can't just cut out the ulcer since I have now had 2 surgeries because of it. But I trust my surgeon so I will wait it out

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 503 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 450 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 305 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views