Pre-Op Diet (or not) Question

joansch
on 8/8/14 5:16 am

I'm reading posts about people on 1, 2 or 3-week pre-op diets. My surgeon has given me a 1-day pre-op diet (all liquid). My surgery is 28 Aug, so I'm wondering what the benefit/problem is from doing a 1-day instead of a 1-week (or more) pre-op diet? Has anyone not had to do an extended pre-op? How did that work out?

Thanks!

Joan

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

jefferytmc
on 8/8/14 5:36 am

Every surgeon is different.

The surgeon my wife and I used did not do a pre-op diet, just a bowel prep.

We had to drink nothing but protein drinks and non-sugar liquids 2 days out, then nothing but clear liquids 1 days before surgery and then the day of surgery of course nothing.

That was purely to ensure that the intestines he was working with were empty.

And neither my wife nor I had any issues.

I am glad I did not have to go through the multi week preop diet, but when you agree to using a surgeon, you agree to their process.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Jenn S.
on 8/8/14 5:39 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

I too only had a one day pre-op diet.  My surgery was on a Monday afternoon.  My last full day of eating was Saturday.  All day Sunday I was allowed to have clear liquids and the day of surgery, water only. I think it is most likely just a preference of doctors on how they do the pre-op diet, in addition to maybe how much weight the patient has to lose.  Many get their weight loss started with the pre-op diet.  I have also heard the reason that they want the liver to shrink, but this is also likely just a preference of the doctor.  My doctor never mentioned needed to have my liver shrink or any other need for a lengthy pre-op diet.  I did fine with surgery (although I had an unexpected hernia repair in addition to bypass) and the post-op recovery was very uneventful.  

samhain
on 8/8/14 6:58 am, edited 8/8/14 6:59 am

My surgeon requires a two week diet of three protein shakes and a diet dinner daily. He stressed the importance of this as a way of shrinking the liver so there is more room for them to work your abdominal cavity. I'm 30 but already have a fatty liver, so I'm game for whatever helps.  It's helping me get used to protein shakes and figuring out which I like, so it has that as an added benefit. It sure ain't easy though! 

NinaCanDOit
on 8/8/14 8:29 am
RNY on 06/27/14

I did not have a specific pre-op diet per say, but I did have a weight loss requirement for surgery.  On my first visit my surgeon said she wanted me to lose 20 pounds before I would get a clearance for surgery.  She wanted me to do this with a sensible eating and increased activity.  I worked with the nutritionist on my eating plan, had many a food funeral, planned for any special occasions and managed to lose 25 pounds  in the two months before surgery. 

In the last week and a half before surgery I chose to do protein shakes and one protein heavy meal a day, and then did a liquid fast in the last two days before surgery (I was so worried about having a bm right after surgery!).  It all worked out and my liver was fine - and thankfully the two day cleanse did the trick.

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

Sherrie P.
on 8/8/14 12:41 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I just had a bowel prep. No diet. All went just fine.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

jenorama
on 8/8/14 3:48 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I just had a 2 day clear liquids diet.  I had an awesome dinner with friends Friday night, Saturday and Sunday were all about broth and sugar-free Jello (haven't eaten Jello since!) and surgery was Monday at o'dark thirty.  From the pre-op class I attended a couple days before surgery, it seemed that the 2 day thing was pretty standard for my surgeon--it wasn't like I was a special case and only needed 2 days whereas some folks might have needed a week.  Each surgeon is different and I am incredibly glad that I only had to do 2 days.  

Jen

Chelley0285
on 8/8/14 4:30 pm, edited 8/9/14 9:22 am
Revision on 12/16/14

I think it just depends on your surgeon's preference. The purpose of a pre-op diet is to shrink the liver so that it's not in the way of the surgery being done. Laproscopic procedures require that the the lobe of the liver that is near the stomach be retracted so that it's not accidentally nicked or damaged during the procedure. I'm about to do a revision from lap band to gastric sleeve and my surgeon requires a 14 day pre-op diet of clear liquids and five protein shakes per day. His pre-op paperwork also outlines in bold print that if, on the day of surgery, he starts the procedure and the liver has not shrunk enough he can pull the plug on the surgery which is incentive not to cheat on this diet. When I had lap band surgery in 2005, that surgeon required a 7 day pre-op diet of clear liquids, 3 meal replacement shakes a day and all the Romaine lettuce with balsamic vinegar you wanted to eat to be satisfied. So, you see they are all different in what they require. Perhaps your surgeon has not found the liver to be in the way when performs his surgeries and doesn't feel it is as important to him. Again, it all boils down to surgeon comfort level and preference. Best wishes on your upcoming procedure!

joansch
on 8/8/14 10:53 pm

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll do a 2-day liquid pre-op, and I'm already cutting back on carbs and excess fat. And I'm counting the days until my surgery!

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Valerie G.
on 8/8/14 11:55 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Mine only wanted me to eat nothing after midnight.  It's more for the convenience of the surgeon.  Many want the bowels supertyduper clean to work with, while others aren't as concerned.  Some want prolonged diets to shrink your liver so they can maneuver the lap tools around it easier.  Don't sweat it, and be thankful.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 408 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views