Approaching 1 year in one more week!!! Long read... sorry!

Ms_Silly
on 8/9/14 1:24 pm

First of all, I have to say I have not been good about keeping up on this site. But I would love to share my WLS success thus far :)

August 16th 2013 was the day my life changed for the better. I have lost almost 150 lbs total from the beginning of my journey. Pre surgery diet I was 297. I lost about 15ish lbs presurgery and am now weighing in at 150!!! I cannot believe I am down to this weight! I could never imagine it and now am still trying to adjust. My surgeon thought I was done at my last check up 3 months ago, however I continued to lose another 10 lbs. I can honestly say if I wouldnt have lost the last 10 lbs I would have been ok with that (I think that last little bit was just about all of the remaining boobs I may have had.....ugh)! But it is a pretty amazing journey and I am still trying to figure out how to maintain and keep things on the right track. Life has been so extrememely busy and overwhelming. My boyfriend of 6 years ad I are finally planning our wedding ! WHoop! So, in that case I should say fiance! I know you have all read something like this before but it feels amazing to be lifted up and carried around and be able to jump into my fiance's arms when he proposed!  ALSO we just closed on our first home and have been so busy moving and getting settled.... on that note.... I dont think I could do all the things we are accomplishing right now as easily without having lost the weight. I just literally would not have the energy to do half the things we are accomplishing in a day right now. It's crazy.

My size/body image/ excess skin: I went from a size 24 to currently wearing LOOSE 9's. I am having a hard time keeping up with the size change! I hardly have anything that fits great because I waited so long to start buying clothes. I am in a size medium top and bottom now. WOW its awesome. I never want to have to buy bigger clothes again. Ever. I had gotten into a size 38D- DD (depending) bra, now can wear 34-36 B. My breast have taken a HUGE hit and I'm not happy with them, but I never really was even when they were big they were too big---- I guess I have no middle there, just too much and now too little, lol. No actually it's because I have extra skin there. when I lean over they look terrible and I hate it. Semi saggy and I would love a breast job right now but I'm just going to put that on the back burner since I havent even had children yet. And even after children Im just not sure I want to go under the knife for something so cosmetic. My thighs have a slightly wrinkled appearance from the excess skin too but it really isnt that bad, I'm surprised. My stomach is handling the weight loss as good as it can... not pretty but it is a heck of a lot better than I anticipated! Not a ton of skin that hangs over, just a little. mostly just a lot of old stretch marks and a slightly wrinkled appearance. My body has responded well. I'm sure my age (25) has a lot to do with that.

Exercise: I wish I could claim to be a poster child of the topic but ... I do pretty well with self motivating. In the beginning I couldnt do a lot so i did a little mostly everyday. I now work out about 3 days a week and prefer cardio. I can jog now! I love to cycle, I love to dance around, and I do videos from time to time. No gym membership. I just never loved a gym. I need a kick in the but right now with my exercise routine because with the move I have gotten WAY OFF TRACK. I mean I have been VERY active, just not that break a sweat work out regimen I know I need. But... IM ON IT. And I know I can't slip back into my old lazy ways! 

Diet: I eat several times a day, mostly get around to about 5 times. sometimes 4 depending on the days events. I feel like I could eat so much an it's scary. But I try to stick with the 8 ounce rule. I mostly cook and prepare meals ahead of time for lunch so Im not tempted to go eat something crappy on lunch break. I have/do  eat out from time to time, mostly stick to shrimp, chicken, turkey, salads, when doing so. But I definitely recommend not making a habit of going out bc its impossible to track everything. I have the my fitness pal app on my phone and I do not use it religiously however I am on and off with it to make sure I'm staying on track. I have a tendency to get on a meal(s) kick where I'll eat the same thing over and over until Im bored and switch it up again. So therefore I dont feel the need to constantly log. Things I eat often: bananas, carrots, baked chicken, turkey, peanut butter, greek yogurt...

I occasionally buy an Adkins lunch meal, one of my favorites is the swedish meatballs, it just very different and high in protein.

As far as beverages, I cut soda and sweet tea  out pre-surgery and have not missed it. Unless you count me dreaming of chugging mt dew as missing it LOL. But really, I'd rather waste the calories on my all time favorite ICED COFFEE - which I make at home. Water is my friend though, and I enjoy drinking it. I use to use a lot of flavor packs but slowly got down to not using them very often. I have practically given up on milk, it just doesnt sit well on my stomache, oh well. Dont miss that much either. Not big into juice anymore either. Just too much sugar and I dont enjoy diluted juice the same.

Mental health: My eyes and brain are trying to keep up with the changes. I hardly recognize myself. And even though thats great, it is still kind of scary. My biggest fear is ever having to look into the mirror at myself blowing back up again. I just wont accept that! My confidence has increased but mostly because in my "new body" I feel less awkward and less ashamed of my physical appearance. I fit into seats and everything so much better. It feels good to have finally stopped worrying about the freakin weight limit on chairs! YES it took me until now to start realizing that I am a normal size and can stop stressing about that. But I think I will always "think" about that. 

anyways

I feel awesome and I'm not ready to lose this high yet! Or ever!

I'm ready to get married in this pretty little perfect wedding dress in October and feel beautiful! This surgery has helped me change my life and I would encourage anyone who is head strong and willing to do what it takes to definitely consider this surgery if your struggling and are ready to change your life drastically and very fast. It is the hardest thing I have ever done and I had days in the beginning where I regretted it and cried a lot. But it does get better guys! Dont ever let anyone tell you that you are choosing the easy way or the wrong way. If you have done your research and know what you are  up against and know that you can and will change YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

I hope 1 year from today I am just as happy and many many years to come.

Nickeliz
on 8/9/14 10:57 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 06/18/13

Congratulations on all your success!

Ms_Silly
on 8/10/14 4:24 am

Thank you! 

Laura in Texas
on 8/10/14 12:10 am

Congrats!! Maintenance is soooooooo much harder than losing. Always remember that.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Ms_Silly
on 8/10/14 4:26 am

I know in a way it's like my journey just began.  I see that your surgery was 2008. Any words of wisdom to get through this first year after getting through my "honeymoon period of the weight loss"? I'm so determined not to screw this up! 

Laura in Texas
on 8/10/14 9:35 pm

Just keep making good choices most of the time. I weigh myself almost daily. I give myself a 3 pound limit. If I am up 3 pounds, I cut back and track religiously until they are gone. 3 is much easier to lose than 30. Just be vigilant. No excuses!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

glady
on 8/10/14 7:37 pm

Thank you for writing this. Im also 25 and your success makes me feel so much better. Im seven months out and I started off at the same pant size as you so knowing your skin isnt as bad as you thought makes me feel better. Im trying to be consistent with my diet and exercise but its hard. This really lifted my spirits today😇😊💚

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

glady
on 8/10/14 7:38 pm

Thank you for writing this. Im also 25 and your success makes me feel so much better. Im seven months out and I started off at the same pant size as you so knowing your skin isnt as bad as you thought makes me feel better. Im trying to be consistent with my diet and exercise but its hard. This really lifted my spirits today😇😊💚

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

Stacyjanp
on 8/11/14 1:04 pm - NC
RNY on 09/30/13

Thank You for sharing! My journey sounds a lot like yours, although I will be 50 on my next birthday.

just keep looking at old photos and do whatever you have to do to not go back there.

Stay healthy!

Highest Weight 225. Day of Surgery Weight 212.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics