I Am CURSED

Addie1978
on 8/9/14 9:41 pm

I JUST had revision from lap band to RNY 7 1/2 weeks or so ago. The recovery was bad because I developed chronic nausea that lasted 5 weeks and only recent went away. Two weeks ago I developed the worst pain in my life - my right rib to shoulder felt like it was being stabbed. My primary care doc sent me to the ER but it was a closer hospital then the one my surgeon uses as I was in too much pain to get to my surgeon. I was in the ER for ten hours and diagnosed with gallstones. The pain was a dull ache when I was discharged. I figured it was probably a one time thing but nope, the other day it started again and has been off an on mostly at night. I finally saw my surgeon  and now I have to have my gallbladder out tomorrow!!!! Who develops gallbladder attacks only 7 weeks after surgery!!! I am only down 30 since surgery, 40 since the pre-op so it is not like I dropped 60 lbs in three weeks!!! So now I am scared and in pain and worried I will be nauseated for another 5 weeks. :(

chulbert
on 8/9/14 9:59 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

You were nauseated because you had surgery on your stomach so it's exceedingly unlikely gallbladder surgery will result in the same.

Out of curiosity, did you surgeon put you on Actigall (ursodiol)?  If not, that's a huge shame because it virtually eliminates the chance of gallstones.  Mention it to him or her and maybe it will help the next patient.

Just keep in mind that even all this is temporary.  You have YEARS of health and joy ahead of you. 

SkinnyScientist
on 8/10/14 9:30 am

BTW..I love your answers. 

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

lburrell
on 8/9/14 10:45 pm

You got gallstone attacks 7 weeks after surgery.....I got them 1 1/2 weeks before surgery and had to have my gall bladder out on my original RNY surgery date....then back in 5 weeks later for the RNY.  Gallstone pain is much worse than gallbladder removal surgery. I was back to good about 3 days after. Much easier than WLS. I wish you luck!

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/14 11:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Gallbladder surgery is very common postop, so you aren't alone. Most surgeons check out the gallbladder during WLS and will remove it if it looks bad. 

I asked about Actigall before surgery, and my surgeon said he prescribes it when asked, but doesn't do it routinely. He said several studies have shown the incidence of gallbladder attacks after WLS are exactly the same without Actigall as with.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/10/14 6:30 am

I had my gallbladder out eight weeks after rny.

Ask your doc about nausea meds if you end up with nausea. I didn't have any after having mygallbladder out.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

MyLady Heidi
on 8/10/14 8:04 am

My suggestion is to make sure you tell the aneastesia doctor to give you everything they have to prevent  nausea, I was sick for a couple of weeks after my gallbladder surgery, my friend gave me this advice before my rny, it worked I was fine while my hospital roommate dry heaved to four days.  I just had surgery a few weeks ago same conversation with the aneastesia doc and I woke up after 3+ hours of surgery and felt fine, not queasy at all.

SkinnyScientist
on 8/10/14 9:29 am

I feel so bad for you. Gall stones suck no matter whether you had WLS or the original anatomy.

Chin up, you ARE going to get through this. WLS has the power to change your life and good things are coming to you. You just need to get through this little bump in the road.

What motivates you? What is your WLS dream?  Meditate on it during these tough times.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 313 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 465 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views