Now a They Tell Me... Grr! - Mini Rant

iHeartTeas
on 8/11/14 7:01 am

So I started my PreOp diet last Thursday the 7th.  I wasn't exactly thrilled that I had to start but I understood why.  My biggest concern was how my blood sugars might fluctuate.  I am on two different types of insulin and oral medication so obviously this was a concern.  I asked at the time I picked up my protein powder what I should do if my sugars dipped and was more or less told that I needed to speak with my primary.  I think she must have misunderstood what I asked because in hindsight I think she thought I wanted her to adjust my dosages but in fact I just wanted options on what I needed to do if my sugars got to low in an emergency and not compromise my diet.  Well, I started the shakes and as suspected my sugars went down.  At first I thought it was ok but now I was seeing 76, 78, and now finally this afternoon a 56.  Clearly I was not well.  I called the office of my surgeon twice with no answer.  Luckily, they called me regarding another matter so I took the opportunity to ask about my situation.  The girl on the phone tells me..."wait, didn't they tell you if your diabetic..." She ran off a few ideas for me and of course I said no I didn't know.  I am glad I have the answers now but they should make it as part of their regular education process to inform all diabetics of options that could potentially save that person a lot of problems.  56 was HORRIBLE!!! I'm at home with two young children I can't let that happen nor did I want to compromise my diet.  Of course in the end if I had no choice I would do whatever I needed to bounce back but that really isn't the point is it?

Thanks for reading! 😊

Qajohn
on 8/11/14 7:13 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Sorry to hear you're going through these problems. I'm not sure what they recomended, but when I was in the pre-op phase (as well as the liquid post- op phase), I drank glucerna instead of protein powders. I dropped one diabetic med right away, and my sugars dropped to between 75 and 90 (actually they were pretty stable). Good luck with the pre-op diet. I'm convinced that my success with the pre-op diet, really helped me with the actual surgery and recovery. 

Post surgery, I dropped the other two diabetc meds I was on, and have never looked back. My last A1c was 4.4 without meds, so I'm really excited. 

poet_kelly
on 8/11/14 11:54 am - OH

Yeah, they should have told you.  Especially since you asked, but they knew you were diabetic so they should have told you without you even having to ask.

Maybe you can mention that to your surgeon when you see him or her.  Maybe they can start including that in the pre-op education for future patients.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 245 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views
Recent Topics