Don't Mind Me...

scooby112
on 8/8/14 11:43 pm

…I'm just feeling sorry for myself. So please excuse the vent session below, as well as the TMI. I need to vent to people who "get it." 

I had the RNY on Tuesday, 8/5 so I'm now four days post-op.  I'm miserable and wondering why I chose to do this because right now it doesn't seem worth it. My stomach is still swollen and hurts, and on top of it, every time I walk, I have a charley horse in my left calf (which meant after being discharged on Thursday, I had to go back to the hospital (an hour away) on Friday to make sure it wasn't a blood clot - the good news, it wasn't.)  On my way home from the hospital, my bowels decided to start moving - yay right?! Until they decided to unleash the hell of watery stools. I haven't been able to be more than a few feet away from the bathroom in 18 hours because even one sip of water makes my stomach clench and I'm running for the restroom.  It appears sugar free popsicles are the only thing my body will handle right now. So even attempting to try to drink a protein shake or broth is out of the question at the moment.  Oh, and did I mention I woke up this morning with a cold? My nose is running like a faucet and a lot of yucky colored snot is running free.  Let's not talk about how much it hurts to cough or sneeze. 

I know it'll get better (it will get better right?) and I'm just having the post-op blues. Eventually my body will forgive me for rerouting my guts and for trying to prolong my life and make me healthier.  But right now, I just really want to turn back the hands of time and have not done this (and take a trip to Taco Bell - yes, I have a food addiction and I know that's the wrong choice, but right now, I don't care.) 

Thanks for letting me vent. I do know it'll get better - any words of wisdom to get me through this rough patch? :) 

basilmk
on 8/9/14 12:55 am, edited 8/9/14 10:53 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Yes, it will get better. You do, however, have to get in your protein. My go to protein at the beginning was Unjury protein chicken broth...it's rich and yummy.

I wish I lived close enough to bring some to you but, in the meantime, you might be able to find some locally or, you can ru**** from http://unjury.com

I, too, had a bad cold after surgery and my surgeon recommended Sedafed which I was told to just swallow and not break up. Incidentally, i never broke up another pill after that.

You must have liquids and protein. Do what you need to do to get these. You are looking at dehydration if not.

Again, I promise it will get better. The bad cold the first week home was the worst time in the last seven months for me.  Since then, I've gone on to lose over a hundred pounds and reclaim my life.

Congratulations on your surgery and please keep us posted on your progress.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

lburrell
on 8/9/14 1:55 am

I am 12 days out and have had many regretful thoughts over this time. Yesterday and today I am feeling much more hopeful and positive so I can say it does get better. Last night I was able to sleep on my side for the first time and was the first time I slept through the whole night...so better days ahead for sure. So sorry you have a cold...I've been thanking God for not getting a cold because coughing and sneezing are horrendous. Hang in there. I tink our regret post surgery is very common and will pass. Focus on one day at a time. Week one is the pits...no matter what.

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

cashour
on 8/9/14 4:26 am - CA
RNY on 06/06/12

It will get better.  I was lucky in that my doctor puts a tube from the old stomach to the outside for a week.  All I had to do was pour protein drink into the tube.  It was taken out after a week, but it really helped because I didn't have to keep drinking to keep me hydrated.  Sending you positive thoughts.

Laura in Texas
on 8/9/14 11:03 am

"Buyers Remorse" is very common. I felt the same way. I promise for 99% of us, it does get better. Hang in there!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Bagspacked
on 8/9/14 2:25 pm

So you got your surgery 6 years ago and have managed to maintain your weight loss? To what do you attribute your success?

Laura in Texas
on 8/10/14 3:50 am

Yes, I had surgery almost 6 years ago and have lost and kept off 200 pounds. I did have a 10 pound gain around the 2 year mark, but got back on track and lost it.

I take responsibility for my actions and do not make excuses. I love myself and know I am worth the effort it takes to continue to make the good choices that keep me healthy. I realize the surgery is not "magic" and it is up to me to be diligent. I plan to fight the good fight every day for the rest of my life.

Laura in Texas

Bonnie250
on 8/10/14 8:22 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Laura, I am so impressed with your attitude. You are an inspiration.

Bonnie

Laura in Texas
on 8/10/14 9:41 am

Why thank you. You just made my day 

Laura in Texas

MsBatt
on 8/10/14 3:35 am

Don't stress over the protein. Right now, the only thing that really matters is staying hydrated. If that means sucking on a popsicle all day long, so be it.

You *might* be able to make your own popsicles and put unflavored protein powder in them, but as long as you're managing to get about 30 grams a day by 30 days post-op you'll be fine. Then shoot for 60 grams a day by 60 days post-op.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 247 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?