Really scared..

AshleyAlive
on 8/12/14 9:58 am

I am less than a month out from my surgery, and every day I get more and more scared that I'm going to fail. I've been having nightmares that I blow my pouch out, or that I won't lose any weight at all. I've never wanted anything as much as I want this surgery so I have no idea why I'm so nervous/scared..

did anyone else experience this stuff? 

Starting a new journey to a new healthy life! ~ashley

Ruth S.
on 8/12/14 11:03 am - Orlando, FL

I think we all go through all the motions of either success or failure.  I went into with success in my head and it was for a while. I'm 10 yrs out and I tend to forget who I am and that I'm different inside then everybody else.  I didn't expect to have a 30 lbs weight gain but considering many get heavier than that I'm okay with it. I did the revision and yet from that not much happened..of course I'm partly to blame.   We have too many unrealistic expectation...on things - not just this.  Take ONE DAY at a time..to be successful is living in that moment...Ruth

Ruth S.
tdbull
on 8/12/14 11:08 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I felt the same way at about the same time. However, the longer I went with weight loss success, the calmer I got. Now I am a year out and have introduced some trigger foods and I have gained about 10lbs back, so trying to get back on plan, but for the most part, have lost more than I planned and feeling fantastic. What I can tell you is to stick to your surgeons plan, use an app like MFP to log your protein, calories, liquids and exercise, weigh yourself not more than weekly, and measure monthly. I also wrote in my OH blog and took pics monthly. I don't know if I ever feel totally confident, but the more I lost, the less panicked I felt that I would gain it all back. I actually plan to get into therapy for my head hunger. I think we will have to deal with emotional triggers for life, but we are also a work in progress and this WLS is a terrific tool for weight loss and health improvement. You'll do great, just stick to plan

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Dcgirl
on 8/12/14 12:02 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I've lost 171 lbs in 8 months and I still have that fear every day lol! If the scale doesn't move I become convinced that it's done. The weight loss is over. I know this is absurd because I continue to weigh my food and log every bite in MyFitnessPal and work out, but I think a little fear is healthy for me. I don't ever want to lose the vigilance that got me to 350+ lbs! So I would agree with tdbull - follow your plan and make the right choices and every day is a new day to be successful!

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/14 1:28 am
RNY on 12/16/13

What you are feeling seems to be typical.  We all have had some anxiety.  After my surgery, I had dreams for several weeks that I had large meals at a buffet, that I had consumed all sorts of things, like candy and ice cream. This did pass.  Just keep focused on your goals and why you are doing this.

AshleyAlive
on 8/13/14 3:26 am

Sorry it was supposed to say I am less than a month out from having surgery. I haven't had it yet. However, I appreciate all of your feedback and it will help me during the after anxiety as well

Starting a new journey to a new healthy life! ~ashley

ladypoohbear
on 8/13/14 7:56 am

Yes I too. Got worried before my surgery.   Had mine June 2013 and lost 120 to date.  I'm so excited about shopping for clothes, wearing shorts, etc.  Just stick to the plan and  everything will be fine. Weight loss is a incredible journey. H ave. Fun.. :-) 

Ladypoohbear

Amanda31panda
on 8/13/14 8:48 am

My original surgery was scheduled for 7/14/14 but I was so worried I made myself sick and my surgery got postponed until 8/4/14. The lesson don't stress so much and purposefully relax your body! 

jfarside
on 8/13/14 11:50 am
RNY on 09/02/14

I am feeling the same way. Surgery set for Sept 2nd and I get these times where I go through a panic attack I just keep reminding myself of all the things I will be able to do and wear when I loose the weight. Try to stay calm maybe write out a list of all the good reasons for getting the surgery or a list of after goals. Anything to keep your mind busy. Good luck and see you on the other side :D

Surgery 9/02/14 HW 360

Awillis
on 8/16/14 8:35 am - Richardson, TX
RNY on 08/28/14

I totally get it, I am less than 13 days away from my surgery.  Get this just found out my surgeon of choice died in July.  Was that ever a shock.  Now have to decide whether to go to his young associate or start looking for another older surgeon.  I am scared to death now.  I am getting VBG revision to RNY.  I understand the nerves, it is natural.  Don't worry about the failure, just take one day at a time. So much to look forward to on the other side of surgery. I am 62 and about to go on insulin but if I get the surgery I will not have to do that.  My goal is no more high blood sugar. Can't cheat on RNY with sugar without paying big time for it, lol. Good luck, take a deep breath over and over and over.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?